Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbees rule okay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ciaranhk

ciaranhk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

Greetings to everyone and thank you to the moderator that encouraged this post.

I was looking for a site that tolerated "computer-challenged" persons.

I am not young but many computer veterans might consider me less than bright (to use polite terms ... rare on the internet)

Have I found the site I sought?

Very promising so far.

current computer access at home:

1. A second-hand iPhone (3.1).

2. An iPad ... used just for fun.

3. Windows 7 laptop ... used for study & anything serious ... plus the online game of "GO".

Time online:

Limited ... usually by dometic pressures.

Computer education:

Limited ... self-taught from 1998. Still consider myself quite ignorant.

Example ... Web-browser I use is Firefox. But I use it only because Moxilla seems to promote a free internet mentality.

i have no idea what the "better browser" actually is.

I use computer books, some purchased, some loaned from the library, but I never seem to finish or master them.

There always seems to be a lot of waffle. Or a lot of pages devoted to computing that I do not do.

Well. here is hoping I meet a like-minded person or two.

Best wishes to all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

G'day ciaranhk, and Welcome to BC !!

As a child, I was told that if i really wanted to know how my bicycle worked etc......then I would need to "break" it, and then put it back together......and in so doing I would  become familiar with the parts and their role etc etc 

Later in life I applied the same mindset to small engines...and have spent the last 49 years repairing...and I still do that today.

I would not suggest you "break" you PC, but I would suggest that you become involved to the extent that you feel a little uncomfortable...ask questions in the middle of a topic.....or open a new topic about a particular subject/something that escapes you.......the vast majority of helpers here will pitch in and answer, because they have ALL been in your position at some time or another...bright enough to know how to turn it on and log in and start a browser session....but a little unaware of just exactly how the whole show comes together...and why one browser is in any way 'different' from another.

As in any field, the language or terminology can be quite confusing....

I tend to draw an analogy (loosely) to small engines....and also apply a huge dollop of common sense....if that doesn't get me out of the woods, I call for help !!

You are Welcome here....get involved and enjoy yourself.

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 ciaranhk

ciaranhk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

Thank you for such a quick response.

Always wanted to go to Aussie-land ... next creation maybe.

Wife just grabbed my iPad ... maybe a game of Go before bed

my first question to the populous

I play Go at https://online-go.com/overview

recently if I try to play a live game the board oscillates at 45 degrees ... stops between moves ... very annoying.

I posted the complaint on their website & a reader just wanted to know all my computer specs, which I could not answer anyway.

Luckily for me another person posted the same thing was happening to him/her.

I assume the problem is at the host site????

Since I have re-opened my interest in learning I am inundated with input.

Software is such a vast arena. How does one stop from being overwhelmed?

Thanks to Brian for responding.

Regards to all

C

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

G'day again

Go HERE  and perhaps use the search facility there to see if anyone else has posted about that particular game etc   (search is located in top right hand corner )

OR.......click on 'start a new topic'.......and go for it !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 ciaranhk

ciaranhk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

I just read the instruction not to post problems on the Introduction Forum ... so I cut & pasted the question on Windows 7

apologies ... especially to Condobloke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users