Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File in use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arseen33

arseen33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi. :)

I'm trying to uninstall and re-download chrome, but I can't seem to get rid of a file from google in the Program Files(x86) folder?

I'm trying to get rid of it with Iobit file shreader, but I'm getting a message that says C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\1.3.26.9\goopdate.dll is in use. Does anyone know what that is and how to make it...not in use?

(also I hope this was the right section forthis question)

Edited by arseen33, 13 February 2015 - 07:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

I don't specifically know what is contained in goopdate.dll, but it is a library file (meaning it contains instructions that other programs will use) and it is part of Chrome updating.

If you are genuinely concerned as to whether it is a phony file, look at it's properties and make sure it is signed by Google.

If you just want to delete it, open Task Manager and close any instances of Chrome still open, or instances of programs that could be related to Chrome. If you don't see any such instances/programs, or if that doesn't allow you to delete the file, then re-booting ought to allow you to delete it.

This sort of issue, of not being able to delete files because Windows considers them to be open, is pretty common and nothing to be worried about. There are some utilities that "remember" a file you want to delete, and will delete it for you the next time you shut down, but I don't use them.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

You don't need to run a file shredder, it's simply unnecessary. Just re-install a new version of Chrome over the top of the current.

If there are persistent issues you can use an un-installation program like Revo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users