Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Won't Boot After Installing Win 7 Pro On Another Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FalconEddy

FalconEddy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

Asking for help on my FIRST post... the epitome of lame. Sorry...

It's unlikely I'll resolve this one flying solo.

I pulled my Win XP SP2 drive that was working perfectly on an HP Pavilion Pentium 4 HT 2.80GHz PC w/4MB RAM; as I wanted to attempt running Windows 7 Pro on it. The motherboard is an ASUS Tek. I knew this would be a real stretch to get it going without it being constantly active from the system demand alone, but I wanted to give it a go. I concluded if it didn't pan out, I'd fall back to the Win XP drive and all would be good.

That didn't happen.

From the point where I unplugged the Windows 7 Pro drive and plugged in the Windows XP drive, that's where it REALLY went downhill. The immediate error upon failure to boot was: "NTLDR is missing". After making a boot CD-R from a backup image I had of an NT Loader image file, the next error I received was that the 'hal.dll' file was either missing or corrupt from the root\system32\ directory.

This is currently where I stand since I can see where this is headed. I'm speculating this may be the result of a flashed BIOS when I installed Windows 7 Pro on the other hard disk; however, I do NOT know this for certain. The current version of the BIOS is from American Megatrends v3.14 09/04/2003. I do not know what the date and version was before checking it today.

Is there anyone that may have some insight to this issue? I have a Windows XP, and Windows XP Pro installation disk if I should need it to copy files; but I CANNOT OVERWRITE this drive. I simply don't see files becoming corrupted or missing on a perfectly functioning hard disk and OS, so something else is obviously at play here. The only thing I could think of was a change to the BIOS during the Windows 7 Pro install on the other drive.

. . FalconEddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

put the windows xp drive back in,

boot your computer from the windows xp install disk,

when the menu appears select to install windows xp.

on the next menu screen select "repair" to repair your windows installation

or..........

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397

Edited by mikey11, 13 February 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

I suggest downloading/installing SP3 and all subsequent updates...once you can boot into XP.

Not sure what mikey11 had in mind...but the instructions he gave you won't get you very far.

After selecting the Repair Console option...I would run the chkdsk /r command as a first attempt to overcome.

This Duide may be of some use.

Louis

#4 FalconEddy

FalconEddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Thank you both, but unfortunately this won't (and doesn't) work. Since the current OS cannot be recognized, the Win XP install will go into full installation mode; which immediately includes disk partitioning, without the option for repair being listed, after you agree to the licensing information.

That's basically why I've come to this forum. I used to be fairly sharp supporting Windows and MacIntosh operating systems many years ago before retiring as a Senior Director of Global Technology Operations. But, I haven't been hands-on in a while, and therefore left an important piece of my situation out of the issue I'm having. My apologies.

However, I CAN make an attempt to unsuccessfully access the Recovery Console to view files which let's me get the directory information for C:\WINDOWS. A plethora of files exist in that directory.

I haven't performed a tedious search for key folders and files yet, and most likely will not, because my main concern is what might be preventing the Window XP installation CD from locating the existing OS on that drive? That's a new one on me.

IE: What key criteria is it looking for?  Is it searching in a particular sector on the drive for a simple binary switch of some type? Or is it not as complicated as a binary indicator?

Certainly there must be a viable option for skinning this highly temperamental cat without taking all nine of its lives.

Many Thanks,

. . Falcon

#5 FalconEddy

FalconEddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:34 PM

Oh My GOD!!!

Nevermind. I resolved this myself after looking more closely at the hard drive with Win XP installed on it.

Somehow, it had lost it's pin selector jumper connector and wasn't being recognized in BIOS as a Master or Slave drive. The SECOND drive I had attached had a jumper selector set to CS, and THAT one was simply a backup drive without a full operating system installed on it.

However, even though the Win XP drive was not seen in BIOS, it was able to be viewed by running the Windows XP Installation CD, and going to the Recovery Console area by pressing 'R', but not entering it by hitting ENTER with no password (in my case). I went in and looked around in the root directory, and it appeared fine. I even checked on the Windows Updates and Restore Points, and they appeared to all be there. In fact, one of the last Norton N360 virus definition updates was dated 01/08/15. Which is right around the last time I used that OS before I pulled the drive.

Anyway, I found the jumper under the desk area on the floor using a flashlight and connected it to the 'Master' pins. (No sense taking a chance on the Cable Select area after all this upheaval)

The drive was immediately recognized in BIOS and booted without incident, plus I pulled the back-up drive since I've had to replace that entire system with a Windows 7 Pro PC for Audio Mastering.

. . Falcon

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users