Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Checksum error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 a7medsalim

a7medsalim

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hello,

First off my pc (its old)

HP Compaq dx2450 Microtower Business PC

i kinda screwed up my bios update in the midst of updating it (i pulled the plug because it wasn't responding) :P dumb i know...

that was 2 years ago i dint know what to do i remember flashing the bios somehow but it dint work apparently. Can you tell me a way to fix this????

something i can do preferably with a usb to fix this error?

it says :

Award bootblock v1.0

bios checksum error .....when i boot the pc

i cant boot into the bios menu meaning it is corrupt.....

Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

Unfortunately until about 5 years ago Motherboard manufacture'ers did not have a way to recover from a failed bios update.  Your only option was to contact Award (or whatever bios mfr.) to get a new IC chip.

See here.  Try clearing the bios (remove battery use the jumper) replace battery try to boot.

If this does not work and your bios chip is soldered onto the board then theres no replacing it (short of unsoldering it)

If its NOT soldierd in then you have two options ( find the same pc on ebay that has a working bios and take it out of that one) or contact Award and see if they will support sending you a new bios chip or reprogramming your current one.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:45 AM

I'd go to HP's site and see what you can find about BIOS issues.  As YeahBleeping said replacing the BIOS chip may be the only way.  Any time I've had to have HP fix an issue like this they replaced the system board.

#4 a7medsalim

a7medsalim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

the bios cannot be replaced.

i can try flashing it .......i tried before but i dint know what to do,i succesfully made a bootable usb with bios then but now i cant remember how i did it, can you help me with that?

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Remove the CMOS battery after removing the power cord.  If a jumper is available on the MOBO, set it to RESET for 30 seconds, install a NEW CMOS battery and boot.  The flash chip is independant of the BIOS chip.  The BIOS chip is "firmware", meaning it can't be changed.  The corrupted version was in the flash chip and shouldn't load anymore.  Any faults on "checksum"  would be bad memory board.  Remove all, reinstall one at a time on the   # "1" or "0" slot.  It is also possible that reseating them might be all that's needed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

FWIW:  https://blog.udemy.com/bios-checksum-error/ , I try the easy stuff before panicking :).  If replacing the CMOS battery doesn't cure it, it will cost you less than $5 and a few seconds of time..and it will indicate that you have a problem worthy of a more elaborate attempt at resolution.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users