Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up parental controls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kerrypn

kerrypn

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hi just a quickie, I am setting up my sons laptop for parental controls-I have admin, he has user account. I have read the tutorials on here which were great to get me started and I have tried searching the web for help to no avail :( I decided due to his age (9) I wanted only sites I specify to be allowed.

CBBC, his school website, man utd...you get the picture. I specifically do not want him accessing social media until older. I can still access Facebook on his account! It blocks EVERYTHING else-MSN, even Avast (I had to reset permissions!)

I then tried to name facebook as a blocked site-both www. and the en-gb version of address have been added to the block list-still I can access! I then wondered if it was cached-cleared history, cookies etc-I could still access!

Next I wondered if it was just the log in page I could access-but when I clicked sign up, it allowed me to proceed!!!

Another issue I have had is he was playing on Fifa 15 UT app on the admin account under direct supervision. I cannot seem to share this across to his user account and when I re downloaded onto his account on app store, even after I logged in it did not save his info :/

As you may have gathered I haven't made the switch over to W8 personally, I am OK using W7, and I am finding this VERY frustrating!! Please could you help me, I want to let him use his laptop without me sitting on his shoulder but until I have the restrictions in place he has to sit with me at all times.

Thanks so much for any advice (before I throw it through the window too!!!)

Edited by kerrypn, 13 February 2015 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

Are certain websites your most concern? If so Opendns.com  may be an alternative, they have free and paid service. The link is to their Parental control features which would do exactly what your asking.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

If you have a router you may be able to set up blocked sites in the router.

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:03 PM

The OpenDNS servers can be configured inside the router to apply for multiple devices.

#5 kerrypn

kerrypn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

Thank you for the replies! Well to be honest its not just specific sites (I did want to block adult content too, which to be fair the web filtering seems to be doing) but the reason why I wanted to specify certain sites is because we are quite basic users and I don't really keep up with instagram, facebook, twitter etc and at his age I would really rather he didn't access these things. The router sounds a good plan, but I am not sure how to do it. Will Windows controls not block these sites then?

Thanks again for all your help!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

After researching this should be able to be done through parental controlls. I will take a look on my machine and see what could be going wrong.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 February 2015 - 06:56 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

Ok I got the web filter working just fine Attached File  Facebook blocked.jpg   90.62KB   0 downloads.

This is how I setup the web filtering

1.  I created a new local user called Child Test.
  2. open the start menu and type Family safety (if its not pinned to your start menu already)
  3. When You see Family Safety on the right hand side click it.
  4. Select Child's username and select web Filtering
  5. Select can only use the websites I allow
  6. Select Allow or Block Specific websites at the bottom
  7. Under enter a website to allow or block type in the address of a website you want your child to be ALLOWED to visit.
  8. Click the ALLOW button.
  9. ALL other sites will be BLOCKED

For  Fifa 15 UT  are you able to play the game under the child's account only their information that was under your account doesn't show up?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 February 2015 - 04:47 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users