Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which component should I upgrade first?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vento

vento

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hi, I want to upgrade my computer but I don't have enough money for changing all the components (and some of them are already upgraded)

First of all, this is my current PC:

-CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T 3.00GHz

-GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6750 1GB GDDR5

-RAM: Hyper X 6GB 1600MHz CL9

-MO: Gigabyte M68MT-D3

I can only upgrade 1 of 3 components (CPU, GPU, RAM) and I have another question:

Should I upgrade my motherboard? I was thinking about the Asrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 (If you have any better idea, tell me about it :D )

I think that the best upgrading option is the GPU but I'm not sure about this. I use the PC for playing videogames, video rendering and graphic design. By now my major interest is Videogames-fraps.

Thanks.

Edited by vento, 13 February 2015 - 02:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

You can upgrade a video card or ram without too much trouble, but CPU or motherboard is a different story. I think for a CPU upgrade, you might end up having to do a repair install of your OS -not sure because I've never tried it myself. I'm fairly certain you would need to do a repair install or a full reinstall if you upgraded your motherboard. So that might influence your decision.

I think that for what you want, upgrading your video card is the way to go. I think you have enough ram, and I am not very savvy about current AMD processors in general, and how much better 6, 8 or 10 cores are over what you already have.

Edited by yu gnomi, 13 February 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

Yu is correct when stating a full re install would be needed if you replace the motherboard.  Windows licenses are tied to the motherboard so if you have an OEM copy of windows you will be SOL.  If you have a full version of windows you can usually get away with contacting microsoft for a new license key stating you had to replace your mainboard.

Also you may need a bios update for the system to recognize upgrading a cpu.

I guess some questions would be ( why do you want to upgrade ) are you having trouble playing some game?  How much are you willing to spend for this upgrade? 

#4 vento

vento
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

You can upgrade a video card or ram without too much trouble, but CPU or motherboard is a different story. I think for a CPU upgrade, you might end up having to do a repair install of your OS -not sure because I've never tried it myself. I'm fairly certain you would need to do a repair install or a full reinstall if you upgraded your motherboard. So that might influence your decision.

I think that for what you want, upgrading your video card is the way to go. I think you have enough ram, and I am not very savvy about current AMD processors in general, and how much better 6, 8 or 10 cores are over what you already have.

Yu is correct when stating a full re install would be needed if you replace the motherboard.  Windows licenses are tied to the motherboard so if you have an OEM copy of windows you will be SOL.  If you have a full version of windows you can usually get away with contacting microsoft for a new license key stating you had to replace your mainboard.

Also you may need a bios update for the system to recognize upgrading a cpu.

I guess some questions would be ( why do you want to upgrade ) are you having trouble playing some game?  How much are you willing to spend for this upgrade? 

Thanks for the answers.

Don't worry about my Windows, but thanks for the info, if I have to do a reinstall, I'll do it, no problem. (More info :D -> I have system+some apps (C:) on a SSD and files and Games (E:) on a HDD)

When I start thinking about upgrading my system for the first time, I thought that the best option would be New motherboard + GPU.

Why? Because I'm gonna buy a new case and I want a MO that lives up to the case.

And why GPU? Because I'm having some trouble with BF4 & BF Hardline on medium settings (Also, when I try to record them with fraps -that's expectable-)

The problem is, I'm not an expert: Better GPU? Better RAM? Better CPU? ... I don't know, my intuition tells me the best option is GPU upgrade.

Budget? (max) (and remember: only 1 of 3 components)

GPU: 180$/160€

RAM: 85$/75€

CPU: 150$/140€

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

Well have a look at this chart It should give you an idea of pricing and upgrade of GPU.

And here are the recommended specs for BF Hardline

• CPU: Intel quad-core CPU, AMD six-core CPU
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 290, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
  • Graphics memory: 3 GB
  • Hard drive: 60 GB
  • DirectX 11

The GTX 960 might be in your pice range.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 13 February 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#6 vento

vento
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Well have a look at this chart It should give you an idea of pricing and upgrade of GPU.

And here are the recommended specs for BF Hardline

• CPU: Intel quad-core CPU, AMD six-core CPU
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 290, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
  • Graphics memory: 3 GB
  • Hard drive: 60 GB
  • DirectX 11

The GTX 960 might be in your pice range.

Thanks man, but I think a GTX 960 is too much for me.

What about a GTX 750 Ti 2GB?

EDIT: I've just ordered an Asrock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0, so it is my new motherboard :D

Edited by vento, 14 February 2015 - 03:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users