Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

beginner's questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mianake

mianake

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi

Great site, and tons of information.   I suspect my question has been answered, perhaps in a tutorial, but not sure whre.

Seems there are all sorts of computer viruses, malware, spyware, adware, malvert, adn who knows what.

1.  is there a tutorial telling me the differences

2.  more importantly, is there a tutorial or post telling me what types of protections are desirable

For example, I have windows 7 and Microsoft Security Suite, which i gther is pretty tame.  I have free Malwarebytes - Anti Malware  and anti-exploit.  I added secunia for updates, and adware cleaner (from this site, not the bogus one), and Spyblaster!.  Frankly, I have no idea if these are duplicative or complementary or who knows what.  

And, I also realize I am the weak link by clicking too much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

Seems there are all sorts of computer viruses, malware, spyware, adware, malvert, adn who knows what.
...1. is there a tutorial telling me the differences!

Glossary of Malware Related Terms
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

...2. more importantly, is there a tutorial or post telling me what types of protections are desirable

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

In fact you should read the entire topic....Answers to common security questions - Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

If I may add, Veracode also have a really good "guide" showing and explaining multiple type of malware if you want to give it a read. It's also written in simple terms so even a beginner can understand. Here it is:

https://www.veracode.com/blog/2012/10/common-malware-types-cybersecurity-101

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

Not a bad article for beginners but I disagree with this statement...

At the minimum, anti-malware software should protect against viruses, spyware, adware, Trojans, and worms.

Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Anti-Malware programs generally scan for adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications which are classified differently and do not fall into any of those categories...that is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them.

#5 mianake

mianake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

THanks for all this, I think it will take awhile to digest.  

In the meantime, let me ask another question, not sure where to even post it.  I did download Secunia, and after earching a bit, found this

1.  Secunia says  I have 76 programs, some of which seem duplicative, like Apple BOnjour for Windows 3.x and the same (64 bit) (same thing for Windows PowerShell,  For Microsoft XML core services (MSXML), I have 5 programs, 3.x 3x (64 bit, 6x and 6x 64 bit  And it says i need to update 4x.

2.  When i go to uninstall programs, it says I have installed 61 programs

3.  when i click on All Programs in the start button, I count 49 of them.

Why the discrepancy?

Some in Secunia are Chess Titans, Node.js 0.x that don't show up to uninstall

Do you recomend the Sould I uninstall program that others seem to like , such as CNET and PC World.

thanks Mike

Edited by mianake, 13 February 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

Some programs are marked as "hidden", which means that they won't show up in the "Uninstall a program" list. This is because these programs are often not meant be used by the user, but are programs used by other programs (libraries, frameworks, etc.) SecuniaPSI will show you every programs that can be updated, hence why you have a lot. One program can even become two at one point. The "All Programs" in the Start button are only programs that were installed and that you checked the option to add them in the Start Menu, hence why they don't all show up there. As for "Node.js" are programs that uses the Node.js framework, hence why it's listed. I have StarUML installed, which is based on the Node.js framework. Hence when I look into SecuniaPSI, I see Node.js listed, but when I right-click on it to check the folder located, it's the StarUML executable. If you want, I can make you list every single programs you have installed and tell you which ones to uninstall and which one to update.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

Not all programs show up in Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Some will have their own uninstaller, which can be found in the program's folder or Start Menu without the need to register in that location. This is typically by design as some vendors write installation routines so their program intentionally will not be included in the Add/Remove list. Stand-alone applications have no installer at all but they may create registry keys when used and those entries can be detected by third-party tools as installed software. In older operating system, this behavior occurred if a program's DisplayName or uninstall key name was longer than 63 characters.Further, some programs that are included with Windows (such as games, indexing, search, media features) do not show up in Porgrams and Features. Access to these programs is controlled by using (turning on or off) Windows features in Control Panel.

Secunia works by examining certain files (.exe, .dll, .ocx) which contain non-specific meta information provided by the software vendor.

#8 mianake

mianake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

If you want, I can make you list every single programs you have installed and tell you which ones to uninstall and which one to update. 

that would be great!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

To remove common trial and promotional software, Toolbars and junk programs often installed on a new computer by OEMs, use PC De-crapifier which provides a wizard style interface with step by step instructions.

For other programs you don't recognize or know whether they are worthwhile to keep or be removed, use Should I Remove It?.

Bleeping Computer's Uninstall Programs Database is a place where you can conduct a search of programs. Doing this is a good way to learn for yourself what you have, want or don't need.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

Forgot to copy and paste my last line in the above reply.

This forum is essentially for dealing with issues related to Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software. If you have general questions about your other software than you can start another topic in the Software forum.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:36 PM

Like quietman says, I'll ask you to create a new thread for me in the All Other Applications section, asking me to help you list all your program. From there, I'll post further instructions :) Let me know once this is done.

unite_blue.png

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

That will work...just post a link here.