Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No it's not blue death, its a dark desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Taralynn56

Taralynn56

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

Running Windows 8.1, over 600 gigs of hard drive, 6 gigs of Ram.  VAIO Sony laptop less than 2 yrs old.  Running the latest version of Chrome. IE is also loaded on this laptop.  Chrome is my default browser.   Avast Anti-virus software. Windows Defender is also running. 

For a while now when I turn on my laptop, my "wallpaper" would be gone.  Yesterday I not only lost my wallpaper but my whole desktop was black. I am able to access the internet just fine by hitting the VAIO or the Web button. Navigation of the web is running fine. I can also hit Control, Shift and Esc and bring up the Task manager.    After about 20 minutes my desktop appears like magic!  

Anyone have any suggestions of what I can try?  What can be causing this?  

I ran a full scan with my Avast and it found about 5 "Pups" and quarantined them.  I rebooted and it did the same thing.  But when I rebooted and got the desktop back it then did an update of about 20 items.  Helppp!!!!  

I do appreciate anyones time they can give me! 

Tara

Edited by Taralynn56, 13 February 2015 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

Its being caused by the below programs. 

1. Unchecky

2. vosteran

3. Mywebsearch

4. Safe finder. 

If you any of these program remove them. When your system restarts these programs wait on Runonce.exe to launch giving you a complete black screen atleast to what I have observed.

You can check this by restarting the system and when you have the black screen push ctrl+shift+esc key on your keyboard which will bring up your taskmanager. 

Search for runonce.exe in list of processes running and right click on it and end it. You should see your desktop load right away.

Run Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner and you should be good to go.

let us know how it goes for you.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:33 PM

fred, you cannot assume that she have these programs installed if you don't even know which ones she have installed on her system, no? Let's see what programs she have installed first before following your instructions, it'll give us more intel that way :)

3Al62Pm.pngList Installed Programs
  • Download MiniToolBox and move it to your Desktop;
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the Go button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Aura, You are right. I should have asked for the programs installed on her system. Will keep that in mind next time. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users