Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD atikmpag.sys driver error AGAIN!!! ARGH!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 axuy09

axuy09

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

So I finally bit the bullet and I reinstalled win 7 (which was a pain!) Anyway I start up a new fresh build and get a BSOD 

it's atikmpag.sys again!

I don't understrand as I have now removed my card and do not have a graphic card on this system,

The atikmpag.sys issue appeared to resolve itself when I installled a new graphic card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. !

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091514-27658-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x8EFC) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8009BB40C0, 0xFFFFF8800424AEFC, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.). 
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Have you tried the AMD Driver Autodetect tool?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

"

The AMD Driver Autodetect tool is designed to detect the model of graphics card and version of operating system installed in your computer. Our Autodetect tool can only be used on systems running the Microsoft® Windows operating system and/or AMD RadeonTM graphics.

"

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

Hi axuy09 :)

I'm a bit confused with the information you gave us right now. Do you have a AMD graphic card in your computer at the moment or not? If you do, what is the brand and model of that graphic card? Also HairCut, the "AMD Driver Autodetect tool" doesn't work half of the time so I wouldn't rely a lot on it :P Catalyst is already buggy at it is, so imagine Catalyst that auto-detect drivers.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 axuy09

axuy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

no will try that thank you.

I think i may need this Omega (14.12)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

These are chipset drivers, not graphic card drivers. Do you have a AMD graphic card in your computer right now?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 axuy09

axuy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hi Aura

so i do not have any graphic card in the pc at the moment

So I have no idea why I get atikmpag.sys BSOD 

am hoping that this Omega helps?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

If you have AMD chipset on your motherboard, yes it'll install them and probably solve that issue. But without knowing what hardware you have, I cannot tell. What is your motherboard brand and model?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 axuy09

axuy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

Yes Sorry here is the relevant info. (or the info I know!)

mobo is ASUS M4A78T-E

the CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 955

Installed RAM is 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

It looks like you indeed have AMD chipset on that motherboard. You can download the ones from the AMD website that you linked me earlier, since these are the most up to date ones. Or you can download the one for your motherboard specifically by clicking on the link below:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/AMD_Chipset_Win7_V307320.zip

However, these drivers aren't as up to date as the ones from the AMD website.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 axuy09

axuy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

Thank you should I try both?

So does that mean that there was nothing wrong with my original GPU? ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series 

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

I cannot tell yet since you're not using it. I would install the ones from the AMD website since they are the most up to date.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 axuy09

axuy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

cool won't be able to do that until later today. ! will report back. 

could you tell me anything about 

atikmpag.sys

or what a

VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

is ? 

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

It's a AMD graphic drivers, however, I suspect that it's somehow included in the AMD chipset drivers for whatever reason there is. AMD have so many driver issues I can't keep track of all of them. The VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BSOD happens when the display drivers crashes, and Windows isn't able to reload them (timeout), which causes the system to crash.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users