Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to have folder size showing next to folder name?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

Anyone know how to have a folder's size displayed next to the folder's name in explorer please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

Hi mystic12 :)

Sadly, there's no native way to do that under Windows, you have to use a third-party program and configure it for that purpose. FolderSize used to work well under Windows XP, but I don't think that it supports Windows 7. I'll check for you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, I can't find any info but I do know a guy who has his setup like that, I am waiting on his reply, will let you know.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

Top right coner there is a drop down menu and you can change the view to details.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

This won't display the size of the folders tech. The column will be added, but only the size of the files will be displayed, not the one of the folders.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

The guy I am referring to sent me screenshots of his music folders and they have the folder size displayed next to each folder in explorer view.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

Is it possible for you to post these screenshots here so we can see them as well?

unite_blue.png

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

I don't have them anymore, when he replies today I will ask him again for the screenshot and will post here.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

Found it!

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/AlbumsDiscographysCollection_zpsab3cd471.jpg

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

He's either using a third party program to do that, or it's a feature in-built in his external hard drive "MyBook". Here's a few suggestions for such programs:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

unite_blue.png

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:29 AM

He's either using a third party program to do that, or it's a feature in-built in his external hard drive "MyBook". Here's a few suggestions for such programs:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

He is using XP so that settles that, no native way for win7.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

It looks to me like he's using Windows Vista, and not Windows XP. That interface in the screenshot is from Vista, I recognize it. And no native way to do it under Windows sadly, no.

unite_blue.png

#13 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

That one very nice feature is to be requested from Microsoft, and their wonderful Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1. Anyone can phone them with it.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:56 AM

That one very nice feature was requested since the beginning, but I can understand why it hasn't been implement. Every time you browse the Windows Explorer, it would have to calculate the size of every folders in the current location. That would take a lot of resources and slow down explorer by a lot this way. Hence why its kind of useless for them to add it.

unite_blue.png

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, the calculation of directory size would probably crash Explorer. That's one thing not listed in the custom column settings just about everything else is. :)

Edited by technonymous, 15 February 2015 - 06:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users