Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pay2play

Pay2play

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

So this all started about 6 to 8 months ago my internet just randomly cuts out after a few minutes or a reset of the modem it comes back on then it can happen again it can happen every 10 minutes or every hour or never it's kinda random I was with optus I went through all the trouble shooting options like checking the line changing filters new modem nothing worked so I just changed providers now I'm with dodo and I'm having the same issues although it's a tiny bit different now it cuts out but sometimes it just says limited access but still it cuts out I noticed it's worst with p2p like using torrents so I turned all torrent program's off and the problems still there any suggestions would be great thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

If you have a router or router/modem combo you need to power cycle it. If this continues then go ahead and make a call to the provider. They typically will run you through the same thing to power cycle the modem/router. Sometimes it needs to be done as the modem will sync better and sometimes routers will conitnue to cause problems till it's power cycled. Sometimes it's the wifi and the radio will not reconnect till it is power cycled. Since you switched dsl providers and it's still doing the same thing, leads me to believe that it's a line issue. It's either at the home outside or between you and a dslam distribution box. If you have had heavy rains & wind and these issues happen during that time, then that's a sign that something is wrong. Water may have shorted wires in outside boxes etc. It needs to be esculated and have a bucket truck rolled out. It could be a bad ground. Sometimes installers get really lazy and don't ground things like they are supposed to. It's a code violation if they don't. I watched one line tech run a green line down and cut it off and tucked into a hole to make it LOOK like it was grounded.

#3 Pay2play

Pay2play
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:12 AM

Just hot weather here iv had Telstra tech check the line 3 times and then my provider tested it on there end and they said it was fine

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:30 AM

Sometimes they check the lines and it's still the lines. They could try to swap to a different pair of wires. Is this dsl a dry line no phone/voice? Have you tried ping or tracert see if there is packet losses? Again, I would power cycle the modem/router.

Edited by technonymous, 13 February 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#5 Pay2play

Pay2play
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:37 AM

Power cycling did not work :(

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

Sounds like you are out in a rural area and stuck with shoddy dsl. Nothing anyone can do. Your ISP needs to figure out why. It could be the modem itself. To long of distance from the central office could be degrading the signal so bad that you are seeing packet losses. Again, it can be poor lines in the home or outside in the panel. Be sure to use a nice thick RJ-11 wire from the modem/router to the wall. If no other phone lines are in use I would disconnect them. it could be wires shorting out and leaking back into the dsl line causing problems. Keep dsl wires away from other power wires, fan motor's etc. Hope that helps you out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users