Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printer Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arkion

Arkion

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hello,

I am having some trouble with the Color printer on my network, I want to try and uninstall/reinstall the printer to see if that helps.

• What would be the best way to go about doing this? I am thinking I will have to create an uninstalling/reinstalling guide for my colleagues 

so they can do it all on their individual computers..... Is there an easier way?

• Will there be anything I need to take into consideration? I.E when re-installing it will it change the printers IP address (If so I will need to update our network topology) 

I am aware this should be a pretty straight forward task but I am actually a programmer that is also starting to take on In-house IT responsibilities  so I would prefer to make sure just in case I screw something up

Thanks.

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:37 AM

We programmed a little application where the users can double click an individual printer name, which will install the printer and configure it. Much easier than creating user guides or supporting users in the process manually.

Printers address should be handled by your DNS, doesn't effect the users.

Both of these things assume you run a print server though.

#3 Arkion

Arkion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:44 AM

Programming an application to do that seems like a lot of work considering only 6 of us work in house.

It is run on a print server, is there a way I can uninstall and reinstall the printer on all of there machines from the print server without them having to do anything?

Okay, does that mean I will need to change any DNS settings?

Thanks

Alex

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:51 AM

You could program an installer to run on startup. I don't know if you manage your updates with something like WPKG? could just add it to the checks.

Alternatively

If the issue is on the server you don't need you worry about the workstations, as long as you give the printer the same name on re-installation DNS will resolve the addresses for you.

#5 Arkion

Arkion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:03 AM

Okay brilliant!! Thank you very much for your help :)

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

np's :thumbup2:

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:56 AM

Installs are easy, uninstalls not so much.  If you're running in a Windows environment and sharing the printer off of the server the client machines will download and install the necessary drivers from the server when they connect to the printer.  If there is a driver update necessary you install it on the printer and the next time the machine connects to print it will update the drivers.

For uninstalling, depending on how deep you want to go, you will need administrative rights to stop the print spooler and delete the print driver.

To connect to a printer and install the drivers the users only need to go to:  \\SERVER\PRINTER where SERVER is the name of the server and PRINTER is the name of the printer share.

If you're using programs to preform these tasks in a Windows environment you're going about it the wrong way.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

Since no one asked I will: What is the problem you are having with the printer? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users