Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How come my laptop has smoother HD video editing than my computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ehzool

ehzool

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:58 AM

So I have this computer - I haven't touched anything on it besides adding a SoundBlaster Z

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03500676

Then I bought this laptop

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0ER3UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use Sony Vegas to edit my videos and editing was a breeze on the laptop! So smooth even at best quality with tons of effects. Rendering was at least 4x as fast too!!

I returned the laptop though (it had some other problem) But I was wondering what is the specific spec on the laptop that creates a better/faster/smoother video editing experience? The 4th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7-4700MQ processor vs the AMD A10-5700 processor?

Or maybe the graphics?

I'm looking to find that information out and use it to possibly upgrade my computer - the HP Pavillion. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

This is a subject that can go on almost indefinitely and requires comparison of both units' total specs, including whether the FSB, Memory and CPU specs match to avoid any bottlenecks in the data flow.

Video rendering and editing is CPU-intensive, almost to the exclusion of the video card. Actually playing a video puts a heavy load on the video card, but not the preparing of the video. That's why gamers are so fanatical about the vid card, they deal exclusively with video performance. So, without going into tons of spec analysis, I would say the the main difference is the Intel vs an AMD processor. Intel traditionally posts the faster specs of the two brands, and especially how much L2 & L3 cache is available on the chip. That can make or break performance big time. When I build, I put as much emphasis on the amount of cache on the chip as to its clock speed. I use AMD exclusively because they are far less money but are very dependable. BUT, if I were to build for a gamer, I would include a monster video card with water-cooling for the CPU and overclock it. For a video editor/rendering unit, I would go with the highest quality Intel chip the customer could afford.

Bear in mind that you are running an AMD in your desktop, so if wish to upgrade to an Intel chip you would have to switch out the motherboard also. In a retail unit like an HP that just is not realistic. You may as well build a new unit from scratch. Also remember that HP desktops are oriented toward the average, Mr. Business man who surfs the net, runs Word and Excel, Facebook and Linked In and that's about it. Laps on the other hand are increasingly oriented toward the younger, gaming freak. This is in general, not unit-specific so that is another branch of discussion!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

The answer is simple and already stated above.

When it comes to sheer processing power Intel cores are superior to AMD in a comparable setup.

Your conclusion of why the laptop is faster is because it is.  And is why I will always suggest an intel setup as opposed to an AMD.  Intel's are faster/more powerful than a comparable AMD processor.

Take a look here for comparison, although these are not the Exact processors in your two computers they are comparable and clearly intel comes out the winner.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:03 PM

I believe the answer is well-stated by ranchhand...having an Intel processor that is outdated and underpowered...is not going to provide the same performance as a system with a newer CPU, more RAM, applications that utilize GPU for rendering, and several other considerations that I can think.

The processor is just part...an important part...of the overall system performance equation.

If you visit some websites offering advice on effective rendering/processing of video...this would become clear to you, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users