Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R9 280 wont boot with a 650W power supply?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bascotie

Bascotie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to run this card in my new build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131570

The card asks for 750W but I figured a quality 650W would do. I'm running this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118

The computer turns on ONLY if I don't have the video card in. I get a post beep and onboard video.

- I can power the computer on with a DIFFERENT video card

- I cannot power the computer on with the R9 280.

Am I looking at a power problem? Seems unlikely to me that they would rate it for 750W and require a 750 for the computer to even start with it, but can someone clarify who is more knowledgeable on the topic? Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:27 AM

I had a problem with a new video card when I put it the same slot as the old video card used a different pcie slot and it worked

The detected result of Windows 8 Manager - System Information v1.7 (Video)

Video Card

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Video Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x679A)

Adapter RAM: -1073741824Bytes

Video Memory Type: Unknown

Adapter DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

I think I had to move it from the second slot to the first slot

Edited by shanepearce, 13 February 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#3 Bascotie

Bascotie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:28 AM

How many watts in your power supply?

I had a problem with a new video card when I put it the same slot as the old video card used a different pcie slot and it worked

The detected result of Windows 8 Manager - System Information v1.7 (Video)

Video Card

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Video Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x679A)

Adapter RAM: -1073741824Bytes

Video Memory Type: Unknown

Adapter DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

#4 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:03 AM

Cougar SL500 500W Power Supply

you do have the two power supply plugs plugged in ?

Edited by shanepearce, 13 February 2015 - 03:08 AM.

#5 Bascotie

Bascotie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:20 AM

Yep, 8 pin and 6 pin plugged in. I've tried 3 power supplies (500, 550, and 650)

Cougar SL500 500W Power Supply

you do have the two power supply plugs plugged in ?

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

Okay what happens when you put in your new video card?  The computer wont boot at all or do you get the post beep?

It would be great if you could test the new video card in another system.

Try pulling out the memory and video card (being careful to ground yourself first)  And then use the clear cmos

Turn on the computer.  it may do nothing or give you post beeps about no memory.

Turn off the computer put the memory back in and power it up.  Go into the bios and ' load bios defaults'

Boot the computer to make sure we can get back into the OS.  Make sure you have uninstalled the old video card drivers I use display driver uninstaller.  Choose uninstall the current and previous video drivers and shutdown the computer.

Disconnect power from the power supply ground yourself and install the new video card.

make sure you have seated it properly and connected all power cables.  Re connect the power to the power supply

Turn on the computer

#7 Bascotie

Bascotie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

I've tested the video card in my own system running a 650W seasonic as well as the original system which is actually running a 550W.

Both do the same thing, no POST, fans spin up, powers off, tries again, repeat.

I've tried other video cards and it works fine. I'm starting to think i just got a DOA card but it's so rare I don't want to exchange without being sure

Okay what happens when you put in your new video card?  The computer wont boot at all or do you get the post beep?

It would be great if you could test the new video card in another system.

Try pulling out the memory and video card (being careful to ground yourself first)  And then use the clear cmos

Turn on the computer.  it may do nothing or give you post beeps about no memory.

Turn off the computer put the memory back in and power it up.  Go into the bios and ' load bios defaults'

Boot the computer to make sure we can get back into the OS.  Make sure you have uninstalled the old video card drivers I use display driver uninstaller.  Choose uninstall the current and previous video drivers and shutdown the computer.

Disconnect power from the power supply ground yourself and install the new video card.

make sure you have seated it properly and connected all power cables.  Re connect the power to the power supply

Turn on the computer

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

While I agree that the card should work with a good 650 psu, the manufacturer clearly states a 750 watt minimum.  So this could be your problem.  The 650 may not be able to generate enough amps to power the video card. I agree that video cards are rarely doa

#9 Bascotie

Bascotie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

The 650 has a 54A 12V rail, while some 750's have dual 12V rails each running at 20A, so I'm not sure. Would love to hear from someone who knows better supplies a lot better than I do

While I agree that the card should work with a good 650 psu, the manufacturer clearly states a 750 watt minimum.  So this could be your problem.  The 650 may not be able to generate enough amps to power the video card. I agree that video cards are rarely doa

#10 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

my card is a Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB Overclock with Boost Video Card an it works with a Cougar SL500 500W Power Supply may be time to return it

#11 Bascotie

Bascotie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:39 PM

my card is a Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB Overclock with Boost Video Card an it works with a Cougar SL500 500W Power Supply may be time to return it

Thanks, yeah, it didn't make sense to me that it wouldn't work with 3 power supplies that I tested it with (2 over 500W and 1 650). I thought maybe on initial boot it needed some serious power for it to work with the 4970k. 

On monday I'll use a friends 850 to test it with just for peace of mind before exchanging. 

#12 Bascotie

Bascotie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

So long story short, the mobo manufacturer blamed the video card bios and vice versa.

I ended up getting a GTX 960 and it works fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users