Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't remember name of program

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gloege

gloege

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

i was ramsacking the internet for answers and found a software suite that was only in a 2013 version no 2014 yet.  claimed it could repare windows vulnerabilities, repair or rebuild windows regestries and restore system 32 fils and much more any ideas.  oh and i think the software was a freebie. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

Hello there,

To be honest I wouldn't touch anything that claims to "repair Windows vulnerabilities, repair/rebuild Windows registry" with a ten foot pole. Anything that claims to do so is borderline scam, and they do more harm than good.

The following warning is quoted from Moderator Budapest.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.My apologies if I did not help you find your program, but in my opinion it is in the best interests of your machine that I not do so.

Regards,
Alex

#3 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:45 AM

if you can put up with a bit of adware

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/3606/system-software/Ashampoo-WinOptimizer-Free

Faster, cleaner, more reliable Windows system Built with 11 years of Windows optimization experience:
Ashampoo WinOptimizer Free is out now and available for free.

Microsoft Windows may have got more advanced but the need for effective maintenance is greater than ever. If you don’t houseclean your computer system regularly the digital garbage that collects over time makes it slower and can even cause inexplicable errors – usually when you need them least.

With the reliability of 11 years of experience, Ashampoo WinOptimizer Free makes Windows maintenance fast and easy. It keeps your Windows computer running as fast and smoothly as on the first day you bought it.

In addition to efficient Windows maintenance you also get a whole suite of powerful, easy-to-use tools that enable you to configure and tune your Windows computer so that it works exactly the way you want it to. Highlights

• Predictive disk defragmenter
  • AntiSpy module
  • Context Menu Manager
  • Favorites Tab
  • Improved One-Click Optimizer
  • More effective Drive Cleaner
  • More comprehensive Registry Optimizer
  • Internet Cleaner
  • Many new Tweaking Tool options

Windows 8 Manager is a system utility that helps you optimize, tweak, repair and clean up Windows 8. It will increase your system speed, eliminate system fault, improve system security, and meet all of your expectations.Windows 8 Manager is a system utility that helps you optimize, tweak, repair and clean up Windows 8. It will increase your system speed, eliminate system fault, improve system security, and meet all of your expectations.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

You don't need any of these programs gloege. They are completely worthless and useless to use. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. I've seen way too many systems being broke by these "PC Optomizer" program which promised to "optimize it". I can put back in shape a 5-6 years old computer faster and in a more efficient and safe way than any of these programs. They are just a pure scam and instead of investing money in them, you should either save it or invest it in a program that is actually worth it, like an Antivirus program, Microsoft Office, newer version of Windows, etc.

You should never put up with adware, ever. That recommendation just turned very bad now.

Edited by Aura., 13 February 2015 - 08:34 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

People don't just "put up" with adware - that's why programs like MBAM and EAM exist.

i was ramsacking the internet for answers and found a software suite that was only in a 2013 version no 2014 yet.  claimed it could repare windows vulnerabilities, repair or rebuild windows regestries and restore system 32 fils and much more any ideas.  oh and i think the software was a freebie.

As Aura said, a lot of system maintenance can be done via tools built into Windows or some standalone programs.

If you need some recommendations about what you need, we will be glad to provide you with advice :)

Alex

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

Those are plenty...

I can point out these as main for you:

a. iolo System Mechanic.

b. Ashampoo WinOptimizer and UnInstaller.

c. Glarysoft Utilities.

d. YL Computing WinUtilities.

There's also Auslogics products, that are a top-notch and do cost a lot, like 39 EURO for their main System Utilities package.

Edit: Or maybe it's Uniblue, that I was a fan of by start (now, their main package is somewhat "cartoon").

Edited by rhino1366, 14 February 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:03 AM

Rhino, tell me exactly why the programs you listed are useful, what features should be used and if there's an alternative to any of them. Don't you realize that you have more chances of corrupting your Windows installation by using these programs rather than improve its performance?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:32 AM

Well, the only paragraph of such System Utilities that is might be lethal for an OS - is a registry cleaning module. None of other. That should be used carefully at a start (when you test-driving the program), making checks and notes.

Complete, standalone packages like...

Ashampoo WinOptimizer, Glary, YL WinUtilities contain "Disk Cleaner" which cleans out most of junk redundant files off from your System, like rests from uninstalled software, etc. Also, there's an "Internet Cleaner" to clean out all sorts of a browsing data left by a browser, like Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera and Safari - its somewhat replacement / or if you don't want to do it through a browser's main window, re-opening it again. These are main..... all of these include a disk defragmentor, which is and should be used on a regular basis. Ashampoo offer a really spin one, fast.

What else... a separative uninstallations module - Programs Uninstall. Ashampoo is great at here as well, leaving no traces by using their module for this (makes a clean uninstall, as if you would brush your CD or DVD with a spirt napkin).

These, and only these packages include a "File Splitter and Joiner", a "File Encryptor" - some are even military-grade. It's good to have a method and technology to pack your best files with a military-grade encryption and a password as a bonus, isn't it?

iolo System Mechanic is beloved and trusted by millions, as they say, as a number 1 from others, offering all those functions too since early 2000s (a very popular and famous software). Their code and methods for an OS and files are truely amazing and remarkable, elite and a top-class. It can be best described as a standalone package for all of your computer needs, for any user (intermediate, or so).

TuneUp and Auslogics are also a great products that are offering all that as well. Australian Auslogics are somewhat greater and more elite, also costly - around $50 or less; their latest version looks a bit like a Mac software.

So that is... for you to study. :)

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:15 AM

Hello there,

Ashampoo WinOptimizer, Glary, YL WinUtilities contain "Disk Cleaner" which cleans out most of junk redundant files off from your System, like rests from uninstalled software, etc. Also, there's an "Internet Cleaner" to clean out all sorts of a browsing data left by a browser, like Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera and Safari - its somewhat replacement / or if you don't want to do it through a browser's main window, re-opening it again. These are main..... all of these include a disk defragmentor, which is and should be used on a regular basis. Ashampoo offer a really spin one, fast.
What else... a separative uninstallations module - Programs Uninstall. Ashampoo is great at here as well, leaving no traces by using their module for this (makes a clean uninstall, as if you would brush your CD or DVD with a spirt napkin).

Nothing that CCleaner can't do, and CCleaner has the bonus of not coming with adware like Ashampoo. Just remember to use the Piriform mirror and not the FileHippo one.

iolo System Mechanic is beloved and trusted by millions, as they say, as a number 1 from others, offering all those functions too since early 2000s (a very popular and famous software). Their code and methods for an OS and files are truely amazing and remarkable, elite and a top-class. It can be best described as a standalone package for all of your computer needs, for any user (intermediate, or so).

I don't know where you pulled the "beloved and trusted by millions" out, but from the reviews on Web of Trust and what they (iolo) claimed to do, I'm sure that I won't be touching it with a ten foot pole.

TuneUp and Auslogics are also a great products that are offering all that as well. Australian Auslogics are somewhat greater and more elite, also costly - around $50 or less; their latest version looks a bit like a Mac software.

TuneUp Utilities broke my Windows installation... nuh uh, not going there.

Anyway, I don't see the point of getting these so-called "optimizers". All Windows maintenance can be done with utilities built in within Windows (Microsoft ain't sitting around for nothing) or maybe with the help of some third party standalone tools. The effectiveness of these "optimizers" are debatable, and can cause more harm than good.

Regards,
Alex

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:24 AM

Well, the only paragraph of such System Utilities that is might be lethal for an OS - is a registry cleaning module. None of other. That should be used carefully at a start (when you test-driving the program), making checks and notes.

What about driver updaters? These can also be "lethal" for a Windows system.

Ashampoo WinOptimizer, Glary, YL WinUtilities contain "Disk Cleaner" which cleans out most of junk redundant files off from your System, like rests from uninstalled software, etc. Also, there's an "Internet Cleaner" to clean out all sorts of a browsing data left by a browser, like Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera and Safari - its somewhat replacement / or if you don't want to do it through a browser's main window, re-opening it again.

CCleaner, TFC and Windows Disk-Clean Up.

These are main..... all of these include a disk defragmentor, which is and should be used on a regular basis. Ashampoo offer a really spin one, fast.

Windows have in-built disk defragging, or you could use a program dedicated to that, no need to install a whole bloated suite for that.

These, and only these packages include a "File Splitter and Joiner", a "File Encryptor" - some are even military-grade. It's good to have a method and technology to pack your best files with a military-grade encryption and a password as a bonus, isn't it?

TrueCrypt, DiskCryptor, VeraCrypt, etc. are all better than the "disk encryption" features of these programs. Hell, even Windows BitLocker is better.

It's super easy to say that a product is used by millions and to make up numbers. Unless this was reported by a third-party that have no direct link with IOLO and that can provide actual statistics, I won't believe that.

Guess what, AVG PC TuneUp is always the first program that cause system issues under Windows and when I help someone that have it installed, uninstalling it boost the system performance and solve the random issues he's having in 90% of the case. Not even being overealistic here. Oh, and I can also do everything, every-thing, these programs do for absolutely free, in a safe and efficient way.

rhino, no actual technical support or IT professionals are ever, ever going to recommend these programs or will say that they are useful. And this is a fact coming from an actual IT tech. support (me).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:45 AM

Command line version of Disk Cleanup Utility or Cleanmgr.exe

To begin, open an elevated command prompt, type cleanmgr /sageset:n, where n can be any integer between 1 and 255.
This switch /sageset displays the Disk Cleanup Settings dialog box and creates a registry key to store the settings. The number denote the settings which will be stored in the Registry when your run sagerun switch later on – and basically lets you make shortcuts to different stored configurations
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/automate-disk-cleanup-utility-windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users