Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tired of reformatting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 julz59

julz59

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Y'all are the greatest & I am lacking in the techy knowledge. I do have a problem.
Im running windows 7 on a optiplex gx270 & has a Radeon 7500 card in an agp slot or thats what I was told by the dude who lets me share his internet w/him I have a Slimtype DVD A DS8A1P ATA Device  that doesnt want to burn ...it will go thru the motions & always ends in failure. I keep googling to replace the driver I use for the card, cause Im bact to the generic VGA driver. Some how my computer seems to revert back to like 2-3 days ago...its happened tonite & yesterday as well. I have to reinstall my antivirus among all the others Because they dont work. The icons are all there on my desktop & in program files the folders are there. every day theres more desktop.ini everywhere even if I delete them. I try to turn off remote stuff &theyre always back on whe I boot up...w/no antivirus... I really dont know if its a virus becuase I  dont know if its even local or not, I live in apts & someone did bust out my window...I just moved here guys... I was homeless for a few months before I moved here...I HAVE NOTHING lol wait I got my puter & its desk & a bed...lol 7 I AM GRATEFUL!! lol
But Im really tired of reformatting, it also seems my CDs/DVDs...well sometimes what I put on em aint there. I plugged my flash drives in before I reformatted yesterday & little by little my files were disappearing.. So I reformatted them all, not positive thats a cure tho?
I just want my puter back without ...someone listening? Theres a microphone it says & I can hear it busy when I change the settings. If its local I I really would like some suggestions.

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

julz59...

Happy to hear you have a roof over your head.

Um, well, I have owned this exact model of PC, so I know a little bit about the model.  I actually used it for I guess 5+ years.  In that time, I learned alot, and I have learned alot since.  In light of this, I would like to put together for you a short list of things to aim for, now that you have a place to grateful for.  Not to ignore the present condition of your PC, but long term, I hope the list will be a little bit of inspiration for you.

Some things I would be working to put together whenever possible:
1.  A newer more modern PC-PCs for under $100 with processors 15x as capable as what you have are all over ebay.  One processor to look for is the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400.  This was a very popular processor for so many very good reasons.  Also, look for 4+ GB of RAM.  This is the minimum for a headache free PC.  Windows 7 is the OS to go for, and many/most of these $100 PCs will come with a COA/product key on the side of the PC.  Also, many/most of these have a DVD burner (need a DVD burner to burn W7 installation disk for one thing)...another requirement these days.
2.  Extra hard drives.  Not to pile it on, but another $100 could get you a double external bay and 2 backup hard drives.  You can create images of the OS and restore in 15 minutes any time you have a problem.

On your problems.  Not sure what to say about these issues.  Reappearing icons on the desktop and disappearing files?  I am concerned this could be malware.  I really hope someone can come along and help you get it all squared away.

#3 julz59

julz59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

Thank you. it has 4gb of ram in there but it only sees 2gb. Im thinking a new pc is in order rather than putting money into this one. All thid has me paranoid & I will prolly give this 1 back to my neighbor that refurbished it

I appreciate your time.

#4 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

I had 3 GB of RAM in the old Dell GX270 I had with 2 sticks of 1 GB and 2 sticks of 512 MB, and it worked OK for me for all of those years. I was sort of lucky in that the PC was purchased new in the original box and had MS Office on it. It was a spare that a company never used, and I think I paid $80.

BTW. When you look for a new PC, think about 8 GB RAM. It's so worth the investment, and you can find an 8 GB PC in that same price range above. The reason for the RAM is that apps are so taxing on resources these days. Also, a PC will make use of the extra RAM in little ways, even though you will never max out RAM usage even at 4 GB. Bottom line, a PC with 8 GB runs better...seriously better...than a 4 GB PC.

One last thing that might help to know is the benchmark of the PC's processor when you start looking at acquiring another PC. This sounds complicated, but it is really quite simple. The higher the benchmark, the faster the processor. To see how a processor rates, you can Google:

Passmark [Processor type here]

Click on the link in the Google results to see the Passmark benchmark number for the processor. The 2.4 GHz processor I had in the Dell Passmark benchmarked at 234. Compare that to the i3 processor in the PC I have now which benchmarks (Passmarks) at 2688. I paid $70 delivered for this PC also with 8 GB, so you can see how things have changed over the years. I even got a dedicated graphics card in this one that was just in there.

You can get so much for your money on eBay if you have the confidence of knowing what you are looking at. The Intel E8400 core 2 duo processor benchmarks at right around 2000, with plenty of horsepower to run Windows 7 and for a modern internet browser. Again, these are plentiful and easy to find.

Good luck with your new residence and with finding everything you need to get started. A really solid PC will be a great "window" to the outside world for you and something you can really use to build the kind of life you deserve. Heck, we all deserve so much, so, again, good luck.

Edited by UpgradeMe, 13 February 2015 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users