Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horrible Lag Spikes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PProposer

PProposer

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

First of all, let me set something straight: I am a hardcore gamer. And this issue is hampering my ability to perform my hobby and putting me in a cranky mood. I am not a computer genius as well; I have no idea what's messing with my connection at all.

So let me explain the situation: I live in a two story house. There are three rooms of which internet is used: the living room, my personal gaming room and my bedroom. My gaming room is directly above my bedroom, and my bedroom is where my router is stored. Already some may say "well your connection in the gaming room may be related to the amount of distance between the router and the targeted computer, may be interference, etc.." But let it be known that I've had no connection problems prior to the first experience.

There are horrible ping spikes on this computer. I'm talking 90-100 ping all the way up to 1000-5000. It'll be a sudden jump. One minute I'll be fine, the next I'll be at 800, then at 2000. It's ridiculous. Network diagnostics on this computer doesn't tell me anything; I ran it prior to writing this again and it only picked up that a service wasn't running (but given that it didn't fix my horrible connection, it wasn't a neccessary service.). This connection has been going on since the first snowstorm was announced, and I've already ruled out the weather being a cause of the service mudding up, since I went an entire two days without an issue.

What can I do to diagnose my internet connection, and hopefully help it boost signal and improve? This is a gamebreaking problem so to speak, and the sooner it can be solved, the better.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: the target computer uses wireless connection.

Edited by PProposer, 12 February 2015 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users