Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intrnet Connected but cannot browse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dumbguy1962

dumbguy1962

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

My internet connection on my XP Pro sp3 laptop just went wierd. Yes I know I should upgrade but this computer runs my HamRadio programs that will not run on a newer OS.

I have several computers and all the others are connecting just fine. I use Google Chrome AND the TOR Browser sometimes. I do have IE 9 but i do not use it.

My connection is good and my computer is seeing packets but... Neither Chrome nor IE will not go to ANY website. TOR connects fine and I can browse. I suspect a DNS problem but have cleared the DNS cache and even tried to specify OPEN DNS Servers but to no avail. I have tried the Microsoft fixit tool and check TCP\IP settings. I am STUMPED Can anyone help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hello,

I had a similar problem-only difference was that I could not access any security sites(like Symantec's, Kaspersky,s and even Microsoft!!)

My novice advice:

I think there probably could be either of the two reasons for that...

First- Malware (or something like viruses, worms maybe...Basically something which is unwanted!)

Second- Something is wrong with your 'hosts' file

I feel you should try running an anti-malware program(malwarebytes maybe?) and see if you have any malware. As for the hosts file, well, I am not quite sure how to repair the hosts file(if it is damaged, of course).

I have had this problem once but I just ran Malwarebytes which I had installed on my laptop and somehow I could access all the sites again.

If you do not find any malware, don't worry, people here all always ready to help-that I can assure you for sure!

RJ

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

In addition to hamluis' instructions to run MiniToolBox, dumbguy1962, if you ever decide to come back, could you please select the following items as well, and include them in your report.

0fRm9vC.png

Edited by Phantom010, 19 February 2015 - 03:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users