Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I be alarmed by this noise coming from my tower?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

after my OS (Windows 7) has been running for about 5 - 10 minutes with or without input from the user. I get this constant noise coming from inside my tower, it sounds kinda like my dishwasher in a cycle. the sound will go away once the OS turns off display on my monitor, but will make the sound for a minute or so every 10 - 20 minutes.

should I be alarmed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

The likelihood is that your PC is just dirty. Open it up (unplug it first) and give it a good blow out with compressed air to clear all the dust out. Make sure you stop any fans from spinning with a pencil or something, so they don't send voltage back to any components and do damage.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

I want to be alarmed but I just cant quite get there.  LOL jk I agree could be a dirty fan maybe or noisy hard drive? CDrom in the drive and its spinning up and cycling down?

#4 jman242

jman242

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

It sounds like the noise is most likely the CPU. Is it a PC or laptop? If it is a laptop, I can help direct you to a video on how to take the laptop apart.  Use compressed air to clean out the main components.  If the motherboard is really dirty you can use cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol to clean the surface (just don't douse it in alcohol,dip the swab in rubbing alcohol and lightly rub the smooth surfaces of the motherboard.) 

If it is a desktop, make sure that the tower is off the ground.  The higher it is, the less likely it is to get dust in the components.

Your computer most likely does this because as others have alluded to, the components are not getting proper airflow, and as a result are overheating.  This of course decreases the components overall lifespan.

Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

#5 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

RAM can be a cause too since the ram is likely to fail

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

Can you identify where the noise is coming from inside the case?

There's a old mechanics trick which you can use to try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

This should be done with the computer off.

Before you touch anything inside the case touch the bare metal of the of the case to discharge any static electricity in your system.

Take a wooden or plastic spoon with a long handle, hold the spoon end to your ear, then place the end of the handle on the different components inside the case.  This is the principal of transmission of sound through a solid object.  When the spoon is placed on the component causing this noise it will be louder than any other location.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

Ummm, how will it make any noise with the computer off? Or am I missing something?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

Obviously this can't be done with the computer off, but you can do a visual inspection of the interior with the computer off. :wink:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

lol... :lmao: .

Sorry mate, I shouldn't be setting baits for my colleagues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users