Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proper glue to use on laptop key?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CosmicCat613

CosmicCat613

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

So, on my Asus G751J, the tiny clips/hooks on a parts of the space key cap broke off, making the space key, well, wonky. I cannot get a replacement key cap, because Asus INSISTS that they cannot and will not send me a replacement or sell one to me, even despite it still being under warranty, and I won't send it to them for repairs because I've read too many negative reviews regarding taking that course of action. My only option to fix it seems to be that I'll have to glue it where the tiny clips would attach to the retainer clip. What type of glue and tools would be ideal for the job? I'm sorry I haven't included any photos. I have the cap attached the best that I could manage, and don't want to risk further damage by undoing it, so I hoped I described the problem well enough.

Before anyone says anything, please don't tell me to look elsewhere to buy a replacement key. I have looked. If someone could find an appropriate replacement somewhere, that would be great. But I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a place that sells keys for my model.

Edited by CosmicCat613, 12 February 2015 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

Does your space key kind of look like this? For plastic/metal, I would use thin CA glue and a toothpick, being very careful on the application.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Spacebar-Repair/

#3 CosmicCat613

CosmicCat613
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

Sort of? A toothpick should work. Not 100% sure about CA glue, I'll have to look it up. I have in mind some kind of glue that's resistant to the kind of heat a keyboard would endure from normal use, isn't overly fluid, won't dry instantly, and will not chip off into tiny pieces/particles over time. I just don't have any clue as to what brand or type of glue that would be.

Edited by CosmicCat613, 12 February 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

How close is your spacekey compared to the one in the link I provided? If you do not want it to dry instantly, have heat resistance, and not fluid, they I would suggest a long cure epoxy -  30 minute

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

I know I am going to come off as kinda a jerk here but the fact that you won't send your laptop in to them for repairs because you've heard too many horror stories is kinda lame.  You make yourself sound like " OH HELP ME WITH MY PROBLEM " and when someone tells you to press ctrl alt del. you say " NO I'VE HEARD TOO MANY HORROR STORIES " so... yeah..

Obviously I've worked in technical support so thats where that comes from soo many times people call in for help and then don't want to follow instructions ' Welll sir the problem seems to be somewhere between the chair and the keyboard "

Anyway not to be totally useless post for you ... you may go to an auto store and use something like RTV black or RTV copper this is normally used for gasket sealing but dries hard..But may not take abuse you could try this adhesive.

The physical ' abuse ' that the space key receives is going to limit how this will work for you.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

I don't see gluing the key as being a solution.  A laptop keyboard replacement is a simple fix, as far as fixing anything on a laptop being simple.  I say send the machine to them,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users