Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery disks for Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hi all,

I recently had to have my Win 8 OS restored by Toshiba as the recovery disks didn't work. They put on Win 8 although I had upgraded to Win 8.1. Therefore I had to load about 140 KB's, then upgrade to Win 8.1, then another 30 or so KB's, plus all the 3rd party s/w. A week later I'm still doing it!

If I make a new set of Recovery Disks now, will that be an 8.1 set and will all the KB's be included?  Is there a way to include the 3rd party s/w in a recovery set. I have considered an ISO copy but the computer tells me that will be about 38GB, so about 8 No DVD's. Although nothing like that amount of space has been used on the hard disk.

Looking at the disk using management it shows 2 Recovery partitions, but also shows they are 100% free, so have I got a useful and useable Recovery Partition?

Best wishes ... John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

if the 2 Recovery partitions are empty you can use Disk Management to merge them in to one partition
(may have hidden Recovery files on them)

windows 8.1 still has Backup and Restore hidden away in (C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe run as admin)
before backup run disk clean up to remove unwanted files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users