Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdChoices Removal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Brush Geek

The Brush Geek

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

Good Day!

I am a computer technician who cleans up several computers a week from virus/malware infections. I love Bleeping Computer and it has become my "go to" site for tools and information that I can trust.

Most of the time when I read through removal guides in the forums for infections, the post usually deals with the specifics of a single user and involves posting log files, etc. as a technician guides them through the process.

Unfortunately for me, this type of post does no more than to provide general guidance and I have to devise my own methods since I can't hope to get help here for every computer I touch, not to mention it would be unfair to those on this forum to help me since I'm generating an income from my services. The other reason this process would not normally work for me is that my policy is a two day turnaround time and the elapsed time necessary to follow instructions and post logs, waiting on both ends for a response here or as I get back to the post as well would not likely fit within that two day timeline.

This gets to the heart of my question. I use Bleeping Computer, as I do every other site I search as a general resource but I have one piece of malware in particular that I have not been able to effectively eradicate from either customer's computers or even my own. That malware is AdChoices. This is even after running combinations of Malwarebytes, Sophos Virus Removal tool, JRT, and Eset as well as AdwCleaner, none of which seem to remove this infection. I use both Chrome and Firefox on my computer but customers tend to use IE a lot. All these browsers seem to be susceptible to this infection.

So I seem to be missing something...

Is there anyone out here that can provide a good general guide on where to look to find and remove AdChoices?

Many thanks in advance!!

Russ Kauk

The Brush Geek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

what is the program doing?

are you getting a popup?....if so, when?

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

I guess that in this situation, it would be useful if you could post the logs of the scan you ran, so we can see what's happening on that system and if we can find hints to where AdChoices is located.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

There are several variations of Adchoices.

See this topic for more suggestions....About In-text advertising: In-Text Ads & How To Remove Them

It includes Opting Out procedures when normal removal methods fail.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 The Brush Geek

The Brush Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

So sorry to be so long in getting back to this thread. I did not receive any notifications that there were responses but that in itself is no excuse.

All of your responses are much appreciated!

To answer the questions in order:

Mikey11: There are two ways in which adchoices shows up. The first is by getting double underlined words on web pages that when I hover the mouse over will popup an ad, clearly identified as adchoices. The other is that there are ads that show up on various pages also identified as adchoices. After running various cleaners (including JRT, Malwarebytes, Eset, and Sophos) this seems to be the only adware I'm unable to eradicate. This behavior seems to show up across multiple browsers so doesn't seem to feel like an addon in a specific browser. I do use Chrome, however, as my primary browser so that is where I notice it more often.

Aura: If it comes to it, I will go through a virus removal process on this site including posting log files. That will depend on whether this becomes annoying enough to me to warrant the time to go through that guided process. This computer is my daily do-it-all computer and as a software consultant/developer/web developer I don't have the freedom to allow this machine to be idle for no other purpose than to chase down a piece of adware and I understand that any other on-going activity on the computer in between posting results and trying the next step are potentially going to skew the results. Plus, as stated in my original post, except where this may aid my own understanding of the general principles and guidelines to follow in "anti-virusing" a computer, it does not help me with the customer computers that come in the door each week that have this same infection.

Quietman7: I will most definitely read through the topic/guide to which you pointed me. Thanks for that information!

I do not use any third party pop-up blockers or toolbars as I consider most of those to be junkware themselves. Plus I consider myself, as a professional IT consultant, to be reasonably internet savvy and don't "accidentally" click on pop-ups and/or opt-in to things without due consideration.

I'll report back here once I've determined how I'm going to proceed.

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

#6 The Brush Geek

The Brush Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

*Note* I just selected "follow this topic" at the top of the page so will presumable receive notifications from now on and can respond quicker. Thanks again!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

I'm asking about this:

This is even after running combinations of Malwarebytes, Sophos Virus Removal tool, JRT, and Eset as well as AdwCleaner, none of which seem to remove this infection.

I would like to know if you still have the logs of all these scans and if so, to attach them in your next reply, not to go throught a malware removal procedure.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Topic moved to more appropriate forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 The Brush Geek

The Brush Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Aura,

The procedures mentioned were probably run over the course of several weeks if not months, depending on when I had the time to give something a try or got frustrated enough at the moment to make the time. I do appreciate your willingness to help but probably don't have those logs around anymore and if I do they are severely outdated since this computer has daily changes on it. If I do decide to get more thorough and intentional about the process I'll be sure and post logs.

In the meantime, on first glance it appears that some of the information on the post by quietman7 may resolve some of my issues. I intend to read that information more thoroughly when I can and will proceed from there.

I think for the moment, I'm going to close this thread as it rather seems like there is no "magic bullet" that is going to resolve this with a single action on my part.

I've lived with this aggravation for some time now and other than giving me temporary heartburn when the ad pops up because I accidentally moved my mouse across the highlighted word or something, there doesn't appear to be any malicious behavior involved so is not worth having any of you spend any more of your time on. There are others out here with far worse problems and infections to deal with. Perhaps I'll be one of those people as well someday so I'd rather not lean on anyone more than necessary at this point.

Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users