Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Weird DVI output?

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 noz03


  • Members
  • 155 posts
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

I just got a new desktop, is second hand and the last owner installed a new graphics card. Problem is, when I plug the monitor in to the VGA on the back it says it is plugged in the wrong place because of the new graphics card. I opened it up and saw where the graphics card is, but the output on the back of it looks like this: 659059920_tp.jpg


I searched online and it seems that this is a "type" of DVI port, but as I can tell normal DVI adapters would not work on this and I can't find one that would :(


My questions:


Am I right that all I need is an adapter for my VGA monitor to make my new desktop work? And what the hell is it called so that I can find it?


Also, is there any other way to fix this without buying an adapter?

Edited by noz03, 12 February 2015 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 TechnicianOnline


  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Online
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

This is a DMS-59 connector. They're generally used with a splitter to dual DVI - the reason for the high pin density is to support two separate output channels.


Your options are to remove the graphics card and plug in your VGA cable directly to the motherboard or just buy the Molex DMS-59 Dual DVI Y-Splitter Cable.

Edited by TechnicianOnline, 12 February 2015 - 12:22 PM.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 noz03

  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 155 posts
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Just looked it up, yeah seems you are right... I guess I have to pay out for an adapter which sucks on a PC I only paid €60 for....


Oh well, thanks for the info.

Edited by noz03, 12 February 2015 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users