Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake AdwCleaner

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Yes, the real and original AdwCleaner from BleepingComputer is safe to use. This one is a fake, it's not associated in any way with the real one.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

Is adwcleaner still safe to use from bleeping?

This topic is about a fake using the AdwCleaner name so the real tool has no association other than the name hijacking.

It is not uncommon for malware writers to use the names of well known security tools and legitimate anti-virus programs as part of the name for bogus and fake software in order to trick people into using them. There were at least two rogues that used part of or all of the Malwarebytes name including this Fake and Bundled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0. There also were rogues for SmitfraudFixTool, VundoFixTool, Spybot Search and Destroy, Avira AntiVir and many more. Even Microsoft has been targeted by attackers using such names as MS Anti-virus and Windows Defender in naming schemes for rogue applications.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#18 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

More info in this topic by Grinler...Fake AdwCleaner scareware generates thousands of dollars for scammers

#19 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

Yes, the real and original AdwCleaner from BleepingComputer is safe to use. This one is a fake, it's not associated in any way with the real one.

OK thanks just asking because with all the hackers you just never know from one day to the next.

Is adwcleaner still safe to use from bleeping?

This topic is about a fake using the AdwCleaner name so the real tool has no association other than the name hijacking.

It is not uncommon for malware writers to use the names of well known security tools and legitimate anti-virus programs as part of the name for bogus and fake software in order to trick people into using them. There were at least two rogues that used part of or all of the Malwarebytes name including this Fake and Bundled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0. There also were rogues for SmitfraudFixTool, VundoFixTool, Spybot Search and Destroy, Avira AntiVir and many more. Even Microsoft has been targeted by attackers using such names as MS Anti-virus and Windows Defender in naming schemes for rogue applications.

OK thank you for the info.

#20 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

You can be sure that all the download links on BleepingComputer are safe to use and legitimate. I don't think they were even changed once to distribute malware, BleepingComputer is probably one of the safest tool library there is.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#21 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

Thanks

#22 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:14 AM

Malwarebytes' take on the AdwCleaner scam

#23 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:48 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects and removes this fraudulent piece of software as Trojan.FakeAdwareCleaner.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users