Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite C55 how to undo system restore?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

This unit got the Mandiant USA Security virus and tried running a system restore which worked but the owner has forgotten the old password and now I need to undo the system restore to be able to get back into windows to try something eles. Even before running the system restore, I couldn't get into any options at startup by pressing f8 or f11, any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

If the computer only has one account and you cannot get to a command prompt you can try enabling the hidden Administrator Account. Follow the steps here but to not reset any passwords. If this password was a Windows Live Account there may be a problem. You can get the latest version of the software here. Once you have logged into the Administrator Account, use that to undo the System Restore. You will need to disable Secure Boot and possibly enable Legacy boot in order to boot the utility.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4713-system-restore-undo-windows-8-a.html

Sometimes you can force Windows into the Advanced Options mode by doing the following. When Windows 8 shuts down it does not really shut down like WIndows 7. It is more of a hybrid shutdown. Getting into Advanced Options should let you undo the restore point. See link above.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.

Edit: Once you get into the Adminstrator Account you can change the password of your client's account if it is not a Windows Live password.

Edit Edit: If the customer did have a Windows Live account for logging in, you can reset it and then use that to log  in avoiding doing any of the above. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/reset-your-password-in-windows-8/

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 February 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

I got the Automatic Repair screen using the above [thanks!] and chose the PC Reset option, will let you know how it goes.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

The PC Reset option  is going to take the computer back to factory reset. Is that what the client wants?

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

yes, he doesn't need to save anything, I checked before to confirm

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

It's good to know that the Toshiba gets to the Repair option using the power button method. I think this will work on any Windows 8 computer. The method I posted was for an Acer but if it works on Toshiba is should work on others.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

Well, that's certainly one method for my personal tutorials for future use on win8 machines [thanks], will let you know when this is done.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:54 AM

All went well John, as usual, many thanks for your help and efforts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users