Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the best web browser cleaning program?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darkcyber

darkcyber

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:51 AM

I clean computers all the time with various programs from Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Superantisypware, rkill, Rougekiller, ADWCleaner, TDDSKiller, ComboFix (when needed), Malwarebyte Anti-Rootkit, Kaspersky Rescue Disc, Anvi Rescue Disc, AVG Rescue Disc, CCLeaner, JRT...etc. you get the picture. All these clean them up really well, but usually do not do much at all with the browsers. The one problem I constantly see is after cleaning them up the browsers are still loaded up with junk, when I say junk I mean malicious ad on's like advertising pops, URL redirecting, and stuff like that.

So, is the any programs that will go through and scan all the browsers, like the malware and anti virus programs do for the OS, and remove all the extra junk. If so, I haven't found one yet and would like to know. 

Basically, what I have to do right now is simply do a reset on each browser and completely reset everything wiping out all data.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:21 AM

Usually the above programs do a good job if they are set for pups. I also use autoruns and process explorer for manual cleaning. You can see what program pops up when the malicious redirect starts, kill it and delete it. 

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

After running the adware/malware scans and clean-ups, resetting the browsers often helps as well.

How to Reset your Browsers

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

What Phantom said it right. All the tools you run (and by the way, this isn't a good thing to do as you don't always needs to use these tools) will mostly remove the core of the malware (adware, browser hijacker, etc.), the persistence. Hence some of the settings are still effective in the browser, but after you reset their settings, these won't comeback and the browser will be "clean". Also, I strongly suggest you to not use ComboFix unless you are supervised by a trained malware removal expert, or you've been trained in using it. ComboFix is a very powerful tool that can damage a system easily and make it unbootable, leading to the loss of all the data on it if wrongly used. I suggest you to read quietman's thread on it, here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 darkcyber

darkcyber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. So, basically there is no one or two programs that will clean the browsers? I have been resetting the browsers manually, but just wondered if there was a program I didn't know about that might do it. As far as ComboFix, I use it only on the worst ones, usually if they have a zero access type virus or malware or some major problem. I have been using it for years and know what I am doing and have never had one problem with it. But thanks for the heads up and you are correct...it is not for the light hearted to use.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

Hello there,

Thanks for the suggestions. So, basically there is no one or two programs that will clean the browsers? I have been resetting the browsers manually, but just wondered if there was a program I didn't know about that might do it. As far as ComboFix, I use it only on the worst ones, usually if they have a zero access type virus or malware or some major problem. I have been using it for years and know what I am doing and have never had one problem with it. But thanks for the heads up and you are correct...it is not for the light hearted to use.

AM software (since browser hijackers tend to fall into AM category) will target all components of browser hijackers except for their browser settings. If you want to remove the changes they did to your browser, then the only way is to reset the browser settings.

As far as I know, there aren't any tools that will automatically reset browsers. Farbar's MiniToolbox can reset proxy settings, but that's it.

Alex

#7 darkcyber

darkcyber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

Hello there,

AM software (since browser hijackers tend to fall into AM category) will target all components of browser hijackers except for their browser settings. If you want to remove the changes they did to your browser, then the only way is to reset the browser settings.

As far as I know, there aren't any tools that will automatically reset browsers. Farbar's MiniToolbox can reset proxy settings, but that's it.

Alex

Thanks Alex!

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. So, basically there is no one or two programs that will clean the browsers?

Well, Antivirus and Antimalware will clean the browser settings in a way where it'll remove malicious files that are being loaded in it, and also Registry keys/values from it that have been hijacked. However, it won't "reset" the browser. So yes there's programs that will clean web browsers from malicious content, only not "reset" them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 darkcyber

darkcyber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. So, basically there is no one or two programs that will clean the browsers?

Well, Antivirus and Antimalware will clean the browser settings in a way where it'll remove malicious files that are being loaded in it, and also Registry keys/values from it that have been hijacked. However, it won't "reset" the browser. So yes there's programs that will clean web browsers from malicious content, only not "reset" them.

So, basically they will clean the browser but just not completely get rid of everything (or at least not like a reset would).

Thanks!

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

They won't get rid of everything, no. What they'll get rid of is mostly the "persistance", hence why when you reset the browser settings after, they don't get immediately hijacked back.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users