Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem frequently had to be re-booted

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 debodun

debodun

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Lately I've had the problem that sometimes I lose browser connectivity - none of my browsers can access the Internet unless I re-boot the modem (Motorola SB5101). If I close the browser and try to re-connect, it just hangs. The modem lights look normal and the network icon in the taskbar looks normal (no red X, blue circle or yellow triangle over it). I can download updates to software, so I know I'm connected, but can't use the browsers unless I do a modem re-boot. When I do this, the modem lights look as if they're cycling normally until it gets to the online light, the that keeps blinking for about thirty seconds, the all the lights go off and it cycles again. Usually on the second try it boots normally. My OS is Windows 7 - 64 bit. What could be going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

By any chance has your ISP upgraded to DOCSIS 3? If so, they may not be supporting your modem anymore as it is a DOCSIS 2 modem. 

I have Comcast, and I know that they do not support DOCSIS 2 modems anymore. If you are not sure if your ISP supports your modem, you need to contact them.

#3 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:12 AM

Hello debodun:

If your cable provider was not supporting DOCSIS 2.0 any longer, your SB5101 would never be able to negotiate a handshake with the cable provider. Ever.

Your description would seem to indicate that your cable modem is having difficulty negotiating the initial handshake with your cable provider.

If you know how to log into the modem from your Windows 7 system, it might be interesting to check the downstream Power Level (ideally 0 dBmV plus or minus 15 dBmV), and the downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (ideally greater than 30 dB).

Getting a look at your modem's logs might also reveal something interesting too.

yu gnomi's point is not totally lost on me. Has your cable provider been warning its customer base of an impending/upcoming upgrade event where anything below DOCSIS 3.0 will no longer be supported after a certain specific date? Do you own or lease the SB5101 cable modem? Who is the cable provider?

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 14 February 2015 - 05:14 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#4 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

I am not aware my cable company has switched to DOCSIS 3. The last two days I have not had a problem with the browser crashing, but then I haven't downloaded anything except MSE and MalwareByres updates. It almost seems to me that it occurs after I download graphics. I am a big collector of clipart and have been downloading images for Valentine's day - browser crashes shortly after this activity - coincidence?

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

I can't think of any reason why d/l'ng images would cause a modem to become dysfunctional.

Are you saying that this problem came and went already? That does happen with broadband (at least it happens with Comcast), I've lost service for close to an entire day and had it come back as if nothing had happened in the first place. I've also had periods where my connections were consistently lousy, for stretches lasting hours at a time. Both are pretty rare, I'd say 99% of the time everything works as advertised.

#6 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

It comes and goes; I'm not sure that tomorrow it won't crash. I was just wondering why re-booting the modem will re-establish browser connection and why the browser can't connect suddenly.

#7 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

Well , today I tried to play a YouTube video and the browser crashed.

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

2 questions-

have you contacted your ISP about this? 

have you made any changes to the cable wiring leading to your modem since it was last working properly? (i.e. added/removed splitters along the path to the modem, changed out a length of cable wire or possibly damaged a connector)

#9 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

I did call my ISP and the only thing they suggested was to get a new modem, but I'm snowed in right now, so a repair truck wouldn't have access to my property. I have not made any changes to the wiring or connections.

#10 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:39 AM

unfortunately, there are a lot of possibilities:

There could be a signal problem upstream of the wire leading to your home- this is something your ISP would likely be aware of and it  is also something that only they can fix.

The wire leading to your home could have an issue, and this could include snow/rainwater getting into the connection point (known as the ground block) where said line connects to the wire(s) going into your home.

Along the wiring path in your home, leading to the modem,  one of the wires, connectors or fittings (splitters, wall plates or barrels (female-female connectors)) could have an issue and need to be replaced.

Your modem might need to be replaced.

There could be something with your set-up that needs to be fixed, but if it was working fine before and you haven't changed anything (added a router or something) it is hard for me to see that being the case.

Your modem is a bit old, and replacing it could fix your problem, but then again it might not.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

Those Motorola modems are not all that dependable.  I got one free from Comcast and it lasted one year and I bought my own.  AT&T gets only six months from their giveaway modems for DSL. 

#12 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:06 AM

Hello debodun:

The major downstream signal quality issues could be ruled out if you would report the power level, S/N ratio and log content associated with failures as was requested in post #3 above.

Upstream issues can also be nearly ruled out if that power level is reported too.

If you require additional assistance gleaning this information, please reply as such.

Again - please relate if you rent or own the SURFboard modem and who is the cable service provider.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 18 February 2015 - 09:05 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#13 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:22 AM

I rent the moden from Time Warner. I get aso get TV and phone service on the same connection and there's ben no problem with those.

#14 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:40 AM

Hello debodun:

1. Although it's an extremely good sign that your TV and telephone services are uneffected, a "hole" or "roll-off" in the response curve can still exist in that part of the cable service baseband's spectrum that serves high speed internet to your cable modem. This can frequently happen when very old RG-59 coaxial cable and old "F" connectors are expected (but Fails) to propagate the cable's full frequency spectrum to and from your cable modem.

2. Using any of your computer's browsers, do you know how to log into your cable modem for the purposes of reporting the logs, upstream/downstream power levels and downstream signal to noise ratio? Most frequently this is accessed via IP = 192.168.100.1

If you do not know how to do this, we can help.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 18 February 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#15 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

I'll have to try that when it happens again. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users