Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update - no internet on PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xvoguex

xvoguex

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:26 AM

Windows updated the other night. When I turned my pc on the next day the internet would not come on, in the internet network work centre everything was connected. I tried different browsers and nothing works.  

I check with other device and pc's in the house all work fine.  I did a system restore to a few weeks earlier and internet worked fine but the updates still flashed up and when I shut my pc down they started to update and I turned on my pc after the updates and again the internet would not work. 

I tried turning off norton and it still would not work. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

What is the error you get when trying to browse websites. Does it say internet access when you hover your mouse above network icon in the system tray.

Try pinging website from cmd and check if your getting a proper reply. 

If it says internet access and your still unable to go online, I believe it could be a dns issue.

Open cmd from run box and in cmd box type ping 74.125.68.99 and check the ping statistics. Then again ping www.google.com and the post the details for both pings

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:30 AM

Another thing you may want to look at. If you have the setting to also download optional updates, Microsoft may have downloaded what it considered a later driver for your network card that caused the problem.

#4 xvoguex

xvoguex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

I'll try ping test when i am back at home.

I'm not really sure what dns is. Would getting a new wifi adapter for my pc help?

Regarding the downloads most of them were security updates there were about 18.

#5 xvoguex

xvoguex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

I did ping test

Packet: sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0
Mini =293ms max 294ms average =293ms

#6 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

That shows you have internet connection.

Are the ping statistics for both 74.125.68.99 and www.google.com. 

Do you get any error when you try to go online ?

#7 xvoguex

xvoguex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

I seem to able to get back online.  I changed the TCP IPv4 dns to obtain dns server automatically and internet came back it goes through identifying then comes on. But it keeps changing back to use following dns server 127.0.0.1. and then I cannot get online

#8 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Ok this seems to be a proxy issue caused by adwares. 

Open internet option, type inetcpl.cpl in run and then go to connection tab at the top. 

click on Lan settings and see if you check mark next to use a proxy server for your lan. if so then uncheck and click on apply and ok. 

Then go to advanced tab in the same window and click on reset , check mark delete personal settings. 

if it still goes back to proxy settings then run the below program and reply back with details. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

#9 xvoguex

xvoguex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

I tried that it is still doing it. just download the adwcleaner I will give that go. I did get a message come up saying problem Wireless Adapter or Access point

#10 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

xvoguex, 

If the adware doesnt take care of it you can try the below and it should fix the proxy problem for sure.

In the Run type regedit highlight computer and the click on Edit and click on Find.  In the find field enter proxyenable and hit enter. 

If it finds any registry keys with the same name you need to change value from 1 to 0 or simply delete the key.

Hit f3 key on your keyboard to search for the same key in other location of the registry and follow the same process of changing the value or deleting them. 

** Note please create a system restore point before venturing into registry.

Reply back if this helps you out.

#11 xvoguex

xvoguex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

The adware seems to have worked. Thank so much for the help. 

#12 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Good to know it helped you out. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users