Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roaming Profiles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mhoromanski

mhoromanski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

I'm trying to set up roaming profiles on my home network. I'm attempting to do this using a pc running Windows 7 Ultimate as my server or by using NAS via my router. First off is this at all possible? Second.. How? Everything that I've found online assumes that I'm doing this on an actual server and clearly that is not my goal. Thanks folks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:27 AM

To have roaming profiles you would need an active directory... to have an active directory you would need a domain... to have a domain you would need a domain controller... to have a domain controller you would need a server.

You can't run a desktop OS as a server.

Edited by TsVk!, 12 February 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

I'll second TsVk!.  You need a Windows server to use roaming profiles.  I'll also go one step further and tell you that you don't want to deal with roaming profiles.  Roaming profiles are an idea that sounds great, but the additional time that it adds to log in and log out quickly become unacceptable.

Edited by Kilroy, 12 February 2015 - 06:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users