Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive transfer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ENISA

ENISA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

Hi.  This is my first post so keep that in mind :D

I have been experiencing some issues regarding my hard drive and im pretty sure it is dead and have decided to get a new one.  The thing is i have so much unwanted stuff on my old hard drive that i don't even want to do a transfer because in my mind downloading the several games i play on a regular basis isn't really a hassle and i don't have anything like pictures and stuff that i want to save.  

My question is are there things on my hard drive that need to be transferred other than the OS?  Things i dont know about?  And if i do get a new hard drive will i be able to install my windows 7 copy on it when i have already installed it on my hard drive im using now?

Sorry if these are silly questions i just need to be clear on what will happen if i get a new HDD.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:58 PM

Hello Enisa, and welcome to BC!

I will answer your queries in order:

You said:

are there things on my hard drive that need to be transferred other than the OS

Yes there are.

In order to fully answer your question, I must know something: do you have a System Installation disc from your computer manufacturer that came with your computer when you purchased it, or do you have a full, retail CD of Windows 7 from Microsoft? IF you have a retail copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft, do you also have a CD from the computer manufacturer labeled as "system disk", "restore disk" or somesuch title? This is very important because it will determine what we do next.

Also, please post the manufacturer and model of your computer.

And if i do get a new hard drive will i be able to install my windows 7 copy on it when i have already installed it on my hard drive im using now?

Yes. As long as you do not change the motherboard in the computer you will have no problems.

Sorry if these are silly questions

There are no silly questions here. Life is very big; nobody can be expected to be an expert on every problem that arises and nobody is laughing at you. We are here to help folks don't have the time to get A+ certified in computer repair. If we didn't want to help we would not be here. :)

Edited by ranchhand_, 12 February 2015 - 12:11 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:25 AM

Yess!! It will be so! Thanks to the EASE-US Partition Master solutions - http://www.easeus.com/

.....an "OS Migration" solution is there for your handsome usement. :)

Edited by rhino1366, 12 February 2015 - 01:27 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

In the first place...you may not be able to obtain a proper data transfer or even data movement if your hard drive is giving you problems...so any plan to move data from the drive needs to looked at realistically in terms of effort possibly not achieving the desired goal.

The suggestion above to use EaseUS Partition Master or any other cloning or backup solution...needs to be viewed in that light.  No one here can tell you whether such efforts may be effective...the best solution is to try and that will tell the story, IMO.

If you are able to successfully clone your old drive to a new one...there is no reason or need to reinstall anything, since a clone will be an exact copy, merely located on a different drive/partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users