Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus on MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DrummerClint

DrummerClint

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum. Got recommended by a friend! I have a MacBook Pro, I downloaded a few files from a website and I then noticed some weird things happening when browsing and also in my finder under "today" there was a bunch of weird things listed mostly in east indian so I am pretty sure I downloaded a virus. Laos now when I go to finder under today or yesterday it is empty which usually it lists whatever files I have opened that day. I do I do a virus search? I tried downloading free versions of mac cleaner but it says it found a bunch of trojans but I have to download the full version to fix them. What can I do? 

Here is my MackBook info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.49f2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:42 AM

Hello DrummerClint:
  • What is the exact version of OS X currently installed.
  • Others may determine the possible malware you downloaded if you relate a slightly obfuscated source URL in question. (The URL should not be click-able,)
  • Please describe, in exact detail, what trojans were found.
  • What is the approximate date of the last full system backup.
Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 12 February 2015 - 12:59 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 DrummerClint

DrummerClint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Hi thank you for your response, I am running OS X Version 10.6.8 and I do not know what happened exactly, just I was downloading a few different fonts for Photoshop online and downloaded from a few different websites then thats when I noticed things happening and in finder under today there was a whole bunch of files and they all were pictures of east indian people which was crazy because I never had any files like that, I notice now to when I go to open something in Finder usually I click on today or yesterday to find what I want to open but they are all empty even though I have opened lots of things today and yesterday on my computer they are always empty. 

Any help in scanning my computer for anything would be greatly appreciated, I need help!!

Also I do not think I have ever done a full system backup.

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

I don't know if this will help you or not. I'm running 10.6.8 also & I've used ClamXav successfully to clean some infections off my machine. Here's the link if you want to try it:

http://clamxav.com/

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users