Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Export registry file vs CCleaner's registry backup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

I ran CCleaners registry cleaner function and created a backup. File size of the backup is 59 KB

I then exported my registry file using regedit. File size of that backup is 305 MB

Anyone know why exporting the registry is so much bigger (about 5,000 times as big)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

It appears that the backup that CCleaner made was only of the entries that it deleted, rather than the whole thing.

If you want a solid registry backup that you can also restore to an unbootable machine use RegBak. Very good recovery tool to have on board.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

How to backup the registry with Tweaking.com - Registry Backup
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

It appears that the backup that CCleaner made was only of the entries that it deleted, rather than the whole thing.

If you want a solid registry backup that you can also restore to an unbootable machine use RegBak. Very good recovery tool to have on board.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense.

I'll look at that utility and one that Quietman suggested, but it seems like most of the times I've had serious problems with my OS's it has been boot sector issues. The registry issues I've had have mainly been bogus entries made by malware, which CCleaner generally fixes.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Tweaking is a great program which can be set to run as a service automatically, where RegBak is a very light application that takes no resources but requires manual activation/backups.

It depends on how you use your machine as to which you would prefer. They both will achieve the same thing in relation to this subject.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

You should never use Registry cleaners to fix Registry entries created by malware. You should get them deleted manually by a malware removal helper here on BleepingComputer, or remove them via other Antimalware tools such as JRT, AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, etc. Not only Registry cleaners are harmful to use, but I'm sure that they can't really know which entry are malicious and which ones aren't when they scan a system.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

Reg cleaners don't delete many malware entries as the installed malware is installed generally, rather than being lost or invalid entries.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

You have more chances of deleting malicious Registry entry by uninstalling the malicious program than running a Registry cleaner. These aim useless Registry keys that don't matter and won't affect anything if they are left there or not. Or sometimes they'll affect key entries that when removed, will make your system unbootable. Can't believe some people still fall for it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users