Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mine Windows 7 Professional, just installed today - my thoughts on it

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

Hi. So I have just installed my Windows 7 Professional x86 w/ SP1 today... the Internet Explorer 11 is just outstandingly amazing! So lite and quick at all.

I've managed to complete with all my software at the same day.

Fonts are brilliant (are well). I can tell that it is +35% faster and "compact on operations" than my old Windows XP Professional x86 w/ SP3.

the after-install setup is short, easy and not in any obligation. Skype runs well. Facebook under IE11 runs well. Bing for IE11 is just amazing too.

Emsisoft IS runs good. Zip/unzip program runs great as well - not of any errors anywhere, at all.

KM Player installed and is functioning well.

.....no problems with defragmentations.

I have resized Windows XP and Windows 7 partitions to 34GB both, I was using EASE-US Partition Master Home Edition, that is freeware (34 - a, 34 - b, and the rest is for storage; I have a small 500GB WD HDD). In future I might order +1000GB HDD for more of the storage, for my movies collection.

Should I take a +2000GB HDD right away?

So okay, that's all for now. Hugs.

...I'll be adding something if there's something.

P.S. Today is my father's birthday - he turned 58! Greetings!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

May I recommend the following? 

Don't lose your Win7 install disc and your 25 character product key

--- I know too many people who have done that

Create a system image onto an external hard drive and set up a schedule that suits you to maintain system images

--- Before you create a system image make sure the computer is clean and secure

--- I'm finally starting to do mine on a monthly basis

Create a System Repair disc

On the 2TB HDD right away, it sounds to me like it would be a good idea as least as soon as possible since you mention video collection in addition to more storage 

On your father's 58th birthday, happy birthday for him

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

If you are to buy a 2TB HDD, I would suggest you to make it a GPT partitionned HDD and also to have a UEFI BIOS, otherwise there's good chances that you won't be able to use it's full storage.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

If you are to buy a 2TB HDD, I would suggest you to make it a GPT partitionned HDD and also to have a UEFI BIOS, otherwise there's good chances that you won't be able to use it's full storage.

...and, ckwa-ckwa, what is it?

cmptrgy, thank you, I'll keep all those words in mind. :)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

Give this guide on SevenForums a read, you'll understand:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26193-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-disk.html

This is why it wasn't recommended at the start to install Windows 7 on a 2TB+ HDD, since you wouldn't be able to use it's full storage space. You had to install it on another HDD, then partition to 2TB+ one in a GPT partition table and from there you are able to use it's full space.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

Aura I put that link into my notes as I believe it will be valuable to me in the not too distant future

On rhino1366's computer it has both XP & Win7 

--- Can GPT partition & UEFI BIOS still be applicable if the computer was originally legacy BIOS? 

--- I looked up Check if your PC uses UEFI or Bios http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-if-uefi-or-bios

--- rhino1366 please check it out and let us know the results

--- What Aura has brought out is very important to know

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

I tested both of the methods shown in the tutorial linked above, and both told me that my laptop is configured to use the BIOS. Not UEFI, despite the fact that it have it, I'm just not using it since it's a corporate laptop operating under Windows 7.

unite_blue.png

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

Good point Aura. We have a Win7 Pro at the non profit organization I volunteer at and when I had run Belarc it reported Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI. I suspect that rhino1366 could still benefit from using a 2TB HDD depending on how it checks out from the post you linked; either UEFI is applicable or isn't

#9 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:42 AM

Good Luck! On win7

Just a few notes my friend that 7 is easily to get infected so you should have an antivirus.

Thats all

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Every Windows are vulnerable to malware Robert, installing an Antivirus on top of additional security programs and extensions, as well as using your common sense and brain when browsing the web are part of the basics of computer security :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users