Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen fading to a muted white after waking from sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hamsters

Hamsters

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

I have a well-traveled laptop that I've been using for the past three and a half years (specifically an ASUS Eee PC 1015PX), and yesterday it started acting up.  It came out of sleep mode and as I was using the touch pad to move the cursor, the screen kind of freaked out.  I had light rainbow colored bars across the screen and then the screen gradually faded to a muted white, where the screen was definitely on, but nothing was visible.

I'm not sure if it helped at all, but sometimes after swiping around the cursor or mashing on the Esc key the screen would come back for a moment and I could control the mouse again, and eventually I managed to get the computer to restart and all seemed to be well again.  I was able to use it for the rest of the day (waking it from sleep mode two more times) without incident.

Then this morning I brought it out of sleep mode again and the same thing happened.  (I usually only do a full shutdown once a week when I need to charge. The battery life on this thing has been great.)

I'm wondering if the problem might be a hardware issue like a loose connection or a dying screen, or if this might be a sign that the laptop itself is deteriorating and I should replace it.  It seems like I still have some limited ability to input things into the computer while the screen is in the middle of fading, even though I can't see what's happening.

I primarily use this machine for writing and occasionally e-mail so I don't need it to do anything fancy, but I've been fond of it for its portability, long battery life, and keyboard and I'd like to keep it running longer if I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

What version of windows are you using .. I noted a updated driver on the Asus website for this computer for win 7.  It could be that the video is failing.  Does it do the same thing if you plug it into an external monitor?  If not the driver issue.  And it works if you plug it into an external monitor than the display is failing.  If it does the same thing on an external monitor and you have already updated the driver than It could be that the video 'card' is failing.

#3 Hamsters

Hamsters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for replying!

I'm using Win 7.  I don't think I've updated the driver since I got it (unless it was something that got flashed in my face from a system message), so I'll check that out.  I have not tried plugging the laptop into an external monitor, but it's a good idea and I'll give it a try if I can get the problem to happen when I'm at home.

It last happened to me on Wednesday morning.  I turned my laptop off overnight between Wednesday and Thursday (after backing everything up) because I noticed I was only getting the problem with my first wake-up from sleep mode of the day and wondered if it had something to do with being left idle overnight.  On Thursday morning it booted up fine.

Then I left the laptop in sleep mode overnight between Thursday and Friday (today) to see if the problem with return and it woke up fine this morning. :\

I don't want to dismiss the issue, because it was really scary thinking I might lose a lot of work, but now I'm not as sure I can get it to happen at will.  I'm going to leave my laptop sleeping most of the weekend and see if it comes back, and then try the external monitor thing if it does.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

Another thought I had is weather this happens when your connected to power or simply on battery.  I wonder if theres some kind of low power usage going on when your not connected to the plugin.  Not sure but just a thought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users