Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warranty void if I open PC to recover data from HDD, so they say!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stevegl

stevegl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

Hi,

I'm a home user PC support technician.  Customer purchased a win 8 desktop PC via a catalogue company  (I'm not going to state that company or make of PC here for now!)

I set it up for him originally a few months back. Now it has developed a fault.  My customer wants to send it back to the under Manufacture warranty and has been in contact with them to that end.

Because I prompted him to, he's asked them 'what about my data'  and was told that they were not responsible for loss of any user data during repair. Make a backup!

"But how can I if the Machine does not work!" he obviously asks.

I know it's probably not the Hard drive so I have offered to take the hard-drive out and backup his stuff via another PC.

He told the Manufacture this and was told that would invalidate the warranty!   

So what is he to do?

Any thoughts on his 'consumer' rights here?

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

Any thoughts on his 'consumer' rights here?

IMO if you want warranty you have none. And I am sure it is also clearly stated in the Terms and conditions.

He can return the PC to the manufacturer for warranty repair.

#3 stevegl

stevegl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

How can a manufacture state your not allowed to open your PC to recover your data!

If say for example the networking on the MOBO has failed (Not the case here I've not had a chance to look at it yet!)

So you send it off for a new MOBO and they zap your data!

yes yes I know he should make backups but heck 80% of my customers don't unless I make them!

Edited by stevegl, 11 February 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hi,

If you know for sure that the problem is hardware related and not the HDD then I see no reason for them to touch the data on the HDD!

The user rights will be different in every Country or State I suppose.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

My desktop has a sticker similar to this over 1 of the case screws, To undo the screw and get the side of the case off I must damage the sticker, Doing that voids warranty, NO IF's No buts No maybe.

I had to take my tower to the PC shop that built it just to clean the fans and heat sink of any dust that may have built up. It cost me $ 30 bucks, The PC shop even warned me not to open the case or tamper with the sticker if I want warranty. 

img_20110721_154923.jpg

Edited by NickAu, 11 February 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

Exactly what is wrong or not working?  Wanting to send computer back because it doesn't work will invite ComboFix, TDSSRootkitKiller, RKill, RogueKiller, and other utilities being tried.  I know, 'cause I hauled my computer in for what I thought was the ethernet card.  Well, several utilities later, my ethernet and internet worked again; however, I lost several important security programs' functionality [to various degrees], numerous utilities were removed -- but, Windows 7 Pro did work! essentially  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:12 PM

Boot it with a Linux boot disk and copy the files off.

Companies that do warranty work aren't going to play around, problem with Windows, no problem we'll restore to factory settings.  User will have to decide what is more important, their data or having it covered under warranty.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,507 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

...Companies that do warranty work aren't going to play around, problem with Windows, no problem we'll restore to factory settings.  User will have to decide what is more important, their data or having it covered under warranty.

Kilroy, exactly.  I purchased a hard-drive to replace my failing hard-drive, right after I made external backups.  I decided my data was more worth to me than the hardware warranty.  $125 was all it cost.  Backup, backup, backup -- before OS and/or data goes beneath the choppy seas to rest in peace alongside the Titanic.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

I am going to have to agree with most of the posters here are telling you.  The user had to decide what is more important... the warranty or the data on the drive. 

Lets look at this from the ' corporate ' side.  You ship a computer to a guy that does all manner of silly things from using a vaccum to suck out the dust from his computer to playing around with jumpers and mis connecting peripherals.  How does a company protect themselves from people doing all manner of things to their computer's inside other than putting a sticker on it and saying NO TOUCHY !!

You are quite vague in your post and while I understand why it seems like you should have the right to open your case and protect your data.  Keep in mind you CAN do this.  AND you will void your warranty.  If this is a hard drive failure decide if your better off taking out the hard drive and replacing the hard drive yourself and forego the warranty.

If the system boots up and simply other issues there are other ways than opening the computer to get the data off it.

I get your point .. but in turn you have to get their point too.... right??

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,507 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:44 PM

If the computer owner can boot from any external device and safely read the hard-drive -- backup, backup, backup.  Then, wrestle with either sending it back, or not.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 February 2015 - 10:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users