Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Classic toolbar, no internet, disabled firewall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snfrailey

snfrailey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Good afternoon, been trying to work this problem the last two nights. Restarted my computer and when it rebooted the toolbar was in classic, the internet disabled, firewall disabled, windows update disabled and security services turned off. I'm also blocked from being able to create or process a restore point.

First thought; rootkit. I've tried running the following programs with no sucess and not even any hits with what appears to be minor threats (a cookie in one program, a suspicious registry key in another);

Trojan remover
Superantispyware
tdss killer
Roguekiller
rkill
malware bytes and malware bytes anti rootkit
adw cleaner

Needless to say, I'm at my wits end. I'm not sure what else I can do or maybe this isn't even a rootkit virus since nothing can kind anything? Thanks!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 February 2015 - 02:29 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected. Even though scans have found nothing there could be malware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

have you tried running all of these in safe mode?

#3 snfrailey

snfrailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

Yes, all have been run in safe mode.

#4 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

what i do if all fails, i try and run Last Known Good Configuration and then i try to run all the scans again from their

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Windows 7 or 8?  What activities was the computer doing yesterday [before this morning's reboot] - as far as explorer.exe and the security programs, ie any "yellow flags," "red flags," alerts, warnings?  While my home record of fixing Windows 8 is very spotty at best, I have been more successful at fixing my Windows 7 Pro [at home].  Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One) with all defaults and items 26 & 27 -- often solved numerous problems.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 February 2015 - 03:07 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 snfrailey

snfrailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7. Before I restarted the computer I was watching some tv shows and the computer was very laggy and slow to respond (also contributing towards my belief that maybe I got a virus). I figured a restart would be good to kinda reset things. No red flags that I can recall. Windows update was running fine, no firewall issues, and malware bytes was active with no known threats. The only issue I was experiencing was lag, and now this! Thanks.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

I'm wondering if the explorer.exe is temporarily corrupted; or, clashing processes are running.  Have you been able to run Tweaking.com's Windows Repairs (All in One)? Or, if the lag was in the "interneting" with the browser, before internet got turned off, it might be time to temporarily disable some plugins, extensions and test.  Similar thing happened to me some days ago; I thought it was my ethernet card [had wifi], however, my local computer store fixed the problem, wasn't hardware, it was software clashes.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 February 2015 - 12:29 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 snfrailey

snfrailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hello! I let the Repair All run all last night and when I woke up, my computer had practically become unusable. I couldn't open explorer or anything without it crashing. I thought it had done more harm than good! Anyways I came home from work and somehow my computer restarted and magically repaired itself. I have no idea what happened. Things appear to be okay however I'm still checking all services to be sure. I wonder if there is any after-action I should do to ensure stability and success? Thanks!

#9 snfrailey

snfrailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

Well still experiencing some issues. I'm not sure how to describe. Windows Defender won't turn on without an error message. And so far I've had a hard time opening some programs. Tried to open CC cleaner and it just never opens even though I see it in the tray. Same thing with Spybot and other programs just not opening. There's obviously something wrong underlying in the system, I just don't know where to go to find out what!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users