Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hi

I bought an Acer Aspire 4750  6 years back in Asia.

And with some valuable help from the Forum ,

I instaled windows 7  again from Digital River  but i never had a CD or Sticker on the Laptop when i bought it i should of realised at the

time that it must be a copy.

I tried jelly bean etc downloads but it only gave me the default key number

But now have the Nagging activation by 26 days keeps appearing

What are my best options should i install Linux or Ubuntu and would it work ? are any other options where i

could buy a legitimate licence ?

i would be grateful for any members idea thanks Ben.

From UK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

You can do one of the following. Buy an OEM license of Windows 7 which would stay with the computer. This is cheaper than a retail license but you cannot move the OS to another computer. If you think you would be transfering the OS to another computer then you should buy a retail license. You could use Magical Jelly Bean to change to the new key and then activate.  You could buy a license on Ebay but be very careful that you are dealing with a seller with a high rating and make sure you can get your money back from Ebay if the license is not legit.

Note: If you are a student at a university you should be able to get a discount through Microsoft but it would be for Windows 8.1.

Download and run a Live CD/DVD of Ubuntu and/or linux Mint and see how you like it. For a 6 year old computer, I would try linux and see how you like it.

Linux would run very well on  your computer but the live CD/DVD would be slower as you are reading from the CD/DVD and not a hard drive.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:43 PM

Are you sure it doesn't have a factory backup partition? Typically there is a 8-10 gig partition that holds the recovery. Acers have a E-recovery utility.

#4 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

You can do one of the following. Buy an OEM license of Windows 7 which would stay with the computer. This is cheaper than a retail license but you cannot move the OS to another computer. If you think you would be transfering the OS to another computer then you should buy a retail license. You could use Magical Jelly Bean to change to the new key and then activate.  You could buy a license on Ebay but be very careful that you are dealing with a seller with a high rating and make sure you can get your money back from Ebay if the license is not legit.

Note: If you are a student at a university you should be able to get a discount through Microsoft but it would be for Windows 8.1.

Download and run a Live CD/DVD of Ubuntu and/or linux Mint and see how you like it. For a 6 year old computer, I would try linux and see how you like it.

Linux would run very well on  your computer but the live CD/DVD would be slower as you are reading from the CD/DVD and not a hard drive.

Hi JohnC_21 ,Thank-you very much for your brilliant help and all the details that should now solve all my issues

I think i will go the way of the OEM route for now as you have mentioned thanks for taking time with solving all my issues

for my Acer Good Luck happy computing from Ben_26 :clapping:

#5 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

Are you sure it doesn't have a factory backup partition? Typically there is a 8-10 gig partition that holds the recovery. Acers have a E-recovery utility.

Hi technonymous ,Thank you very much for your kind input i will remember your instructions good luck from Ben_26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users