Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Query on windows update and scanning!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 comp_help2014

comp_help2014

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Hi,

I would like to know how often I need to do scans with MBAM, and other scanning tools. Please also do let me know which tools to use. And how often do I do the windows update? Also, should I get a paid version of my AV or will the free version work? It's Avira.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:35 AM

Hello there,

Do you still need help?

Alex

#3 comp_help2014

comp_help2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:12 AM

I just need to know whether I need to keep windows defender on?

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:07 AM

May I ask, which OS are you using?

Alex

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

Hi comp_help2014 :)

It looks like you have a lot of questions, let's address them one by one :)

I would like to know how often I need to do scans with MBAM, and other scanning tools.

To be honest, a quick scan once per week should do the job, but it depends on how you use your computer and if you are a person at risk of being infected by malicious items: files, Registry keys, etc. every time you go on the web. What do you mean by "other scanning tools", which ones do you have in mind?

Please also do let me know which tools to use

Looks like this answer my last question. There's many tools that can be used to scan a system for malware, but I guess you would like standalone executables compared to complete programs, since you can just download them, scan with them and then delete them once done. AdwCleaner and JRT, both available (hosted) on BleepingComputer, will do a good job for that. However, these only targets specific adware, browser hijacker, junkware and PUPs infections, so no worm, rootkits, bots, etc.

And how often do I do the windows update?

You want to install every Important Updates as soon as they come out. Usually, these are released on the second Tuesday of every month as part of "Patch Tuesday", but sometimes, when a critical vulnerability is found in Windows, they'll be released at a prior date to ensure the security of the user.

Also, should I get a paid version of my AV or will the free version work? It's Avira.

To be honest, this is your calll. Free Antivirus products can do a good job, but the paid version often offers more features, so it's your job to look on Avira's website if you need the feature provided by its paid version. quietman wrote a whole article on how to choose a good Antivirus product, I suggest you to read it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

I would also read his whole thread if I were you, there's a lot of valuable information in it :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. It can be turned off if you are using other anti-malware software such as Malwarebytes or Emsisoft.

Windows Defender on Windows 8 is not the same as Windows Defender on earlier operating systems. Although it uses the same name, the new Windows Defender on Windows 8 is integrated with the operating system and includes both anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows Defender 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on previous operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 comp_help2014

comp_help2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Aura, Alex and Quietman.  My OS is Windows 7.

Aura,

1. I am not using MBAM. I am just using Avira AV. Should I keep my Windows defender on? Plus what about Windows firewall? Should I keep that on as well? 

2. I've set my Windows update to update Every Wednesday. Is this ok? Or should I turn off automatic updates and do a manual update on the second Tuesday of every month? How will I know when the updates are released, if released at a prior date?

3. So I'll use MBAM, AdwCleaner and JRT once a week. Will this suffice? 

Thanks again! You are a great team!!!!!

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

1. I am not using MBAM. I am just using Avira AV. Should I keep my Windows defender on? Plus what about Windows firewall? Should I keep that on as well?

Windows Defender is more like of an "Antimalware" under Windows 7, so there should be no problem in keeping it on with Avira Antivirus installed. It's under Windows 8/8.1 that it becomes an "Antivirus" program.

2. I've set my Windows update to update Every Wednesday. Is this ok? Or should I turn off automatic updates and do a manual update on the second Tuesday of every month? How will I know when the updates are released, if released at a prior date?

This is good yes. If you're still not sure, I can tell you which settings I have when I get back home tonight, but right now it's all good :P You'll know when the updates are released when Windows will warn you about them. You'll see a little message popping up saying that updates are ready to be installed.

3. So I'll use MBAM, AdwCleaner and JRT once a week. Will this suffice?

This will suffice to scan your system, it won't suffice in "protecting" you if you don't have good and secure browsing habits. Here, I suggest you to read this guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

If you are going to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free, then you can keep Windows Defender on. If you are going to use Malwarebytes Premium...there really is no need to keep Windows Defender on since Malwarebytes is more effective. See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls. For more information, please read...
* Choosing a Firewall
* Answers to common security questions - Best Practices for Safe Computing

#10 comp_help2014

comp_help2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Thank you! My system and internet has suddenly slowed down again :(

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

This issue may be malware related....You should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum for assistance with investigating and disinfection if confirmed.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

I might jump in your "Am I Infected" thread if you open one comp, just to see if it's malware or not :)

unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:11 AM

That's fine.

#14 comp_help2014

comp_help2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

My net is working fine now and my computer too is quite fast. Should I still open a new thread in the 'Am I Infected' forum?

I just wanted to let you know that when I boot my computer, the Action center throws up a notification saying that my AV needs to be turned on and even when I go into the Action Center Area and click on 'Turn On', it takes time to do that. Is this normal with Avira?

Edited by comp_help2014, 20 February 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

I've seen that happens a lot, most likely a corrupted Antivirus installation. When it happens, I simply reinstall the Antivirus to fix the issue. It usually happens after your computer shutdown in an unexpected way and it affects Windows Action Center. And you can still open a thread in the Am I Infected? section, there's no harm in getting a little check-up :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users