Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP issues after Motherboard change

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hyper-V

Hyper-V

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

How can i get my Windows xp to boot with my new motherboard? I know that the drivers that are currently installed on the hard drive are different but my old mobo died and i don't want to risk loosing my programs installed. So my main question is how can i get it to boot without formatting/reinstalling windows xp? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

What is the error message? Is a BSOD with code 0x7B?

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Is that an OEM version? If so, the way I understand it, the OS dies with a PC unless you re-activated it again with a new motherboard.

If not, reinstallation and reactivation will still be necessary. The OS is tied to the motherboard.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 Hyper-V

Hyper-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

@Kirbyofdeath I'm not able to see which error code is displayed because the BSOD comes off the screen very quickly not even 2 seconds and its off then the PC restarts.

#5 Hyper-V

Hyper-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

No its not an OEM Version @badr0b0t, its a built PC with Windows XP Professional x32 

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

No its not an OEM Version @badr0b0t, its a built PC with Windows XP Professional x32

Yeah, you will have to reactivate the OS with the new motherboard. But I don't know how you can do that since Microsoft already ended up support for XP. You may wanna get in touch with Microsoft tech support.

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 February 2015 - 10:32 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 Hyper-V

Hyper-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

Ok thanks @badr0b0t.

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

Ok thanks @badr0b0t.

If you do get in touch with MS, it might be a good idea to come back to this thread and tell us how you sorted it out. A lot of people here are also still holding on to their XP. :)

Unless of course someone else came up with a solution here.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 Hyper-V

Hyper-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Ok will do, I am going to try another approach before I contact MS. 

#10 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Chances are it is probably just a driver error. Usually easy to fix.

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

I found this from Microsoft website. 

Replace a failed motherboard

This scenario assumes that your existing motherboard has failed and that you cannot start the existing Windows installation on the hard disk.

To replace a failed motherboard with a new motherboard and to then reconfigure Windows to work with the new motherboard, do the following:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Replace the existing motherboard with the new motherboard.
  3. Insert your Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive, and start the computer from the CD.
  4. Do one of the following:
    • For Windows XP:
      1. When you are prompted To set up Windows now, press ENTER, press ENTER.

Setup looks for any previous installations of Windows XP on the hard disk and then displays a list of any previous installations that it finds.
      2. Use the arrow keys to select the installation that you want to repair, and then press R to select the To repair the selected Windows installation, press R option. 

This will start the repair of your previous Windows XP installation.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen, and allow Setup to complete the repair of the previous Windows Server 2003 installation, Windows XP installation, or Windows 2000 installation.Setup installs the HAL, the IDE controller drivers, and any other drivers that the new motherboard must have.
  6. After the repair is completed, reinstall any service packs or hotfixes that you had previously installed.

It will be a different procedure for Windows 7 and above.

Here's the website:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 February 2015 - 11:31 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users