Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

280 gb of data in system volume information!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pipermac

pipermac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hey all! So first my specs: Vista Home Premium SP2,  AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-core Processor 2.20 GHz, 6GB RAM, 64 Bit OS.

Ok so the problem:  My c:/ drive is filling up with unaccountable data.  Seems like its lost 120+ GB in the last couple months!  I ran WinStatDir and came up with about 290GB of "unknown" data.  Ran disk cleanup, went to "restore and shadow copies" and erased all but recent.  Gained about 12 GB. Did some research, then ran SpaceMonger (in administrator).  Came up with up 284.4 GB of unscannable data in 2 folders: c:/SystemVolumeInformation and c:/windows/system32/logfiles/Wmi/RtBackup.  the windows folder has about 6kb.  System volume information contains about 285GB!  It seems most people having this problem, it appears to be system restore backups.  I've deleted them a couple times through disk cleanup now ,but the files in systemvolumeinformation persist.  Any ideas if these are backups and if I can get rid of them?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hi pipermac :)

These are indeed "restore points" used by the System Restore feature of Windows. To delete them, right-click on Computer and select Properties. Click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane, and click on the System Protection tab. From there, click on the Configure... button followed by Delete at the bottom. This will delete all the current restore points. Once this is done, I suggest you to create a new one, just in case.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 pipermac

pipermac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

So with the amount of info stating that this was restore copies, led me to try another option:  I disabled restores on my computer (which shoud erase ALL backups) After rebooting this time I was pleasantly surprised to see almost 300GB more space.  I just re-enabled restores, and made one.  If my computer starts filling up crazily fast again I will report back.  I don't know why the disc cleanup delete didn't work, but I hope other people having that issue try this as well.Thanks to the many knowledgable people who post in help sections. You make people's existences a little smoother.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

Glad that you found an alternative way to solve your issue pipermac :) You can keep my instructions for the future if you don't feel like disabling the service and restarting your computer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 pipermac

pipermac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

Hey thanks Aura, looks like we posted at the same time!  I had to go to COMPUTER, properties,System protection (here it gets different) I don't see a configure button, I unchecked drive c:/ then it asked me if i want to turn off system restore.  I clicked yes.  It deleted all of my restores. Rebooted computer, checked hd space, saw my reclaimed digital territory, did a little happy dance, then re-enabled restores and made one.  Will keep an eye on disk space over the next month to see how it goes.  Thanks for the reply!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

No problem piper :) I guess there's little differences between Windows Vista and Windows 7 for that procedure I posted, since I based myself off Windows 7. The important is that the issue is solved! Have a good day :)

unite_blue.png

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

- The "Disk CleanUp" tool NEVER deletes/touches those System Restore Points (SRP) !!!! Not in XP, Vista or e.g. Win 7.

- There's a program that enables the user to delete one or more of those SRPs. Piriform's Ccleaner.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Select "Tools" > "System Restore", highlight one or more of those SRPs and hit "Remove".

No need to go through such a elaborate & difficult process as you have described.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users