Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Failed, now to move programs and games

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deanos63

deanos63

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

Hi guys,

I am starting to receive warning messages from windows that one of my HDD's is starting to fail (Something to do with reallocate sectors being bad) anyway, this is not a problem I have a new HDD on order.

The HDD that is failing only has installed games and installed steam games on it. I have a seperate HDD used for windows.

My question is will I be able to transfer my games/steamapp games from my failing HDD (E:) to my NEW HDD (Lets say G:) using copy and paste method, and then remove HDD (E:) and throw it in the bin and then rename NEW HDD (G:) to (E:), and carry on as though nothing has happened?

I know you couldn't do this if you install games on the same disk as the OS, but as I have installed the games away from the OS HDD will I just be able to trick windows into thinking it is the same HDD?

I have over 200 games, Steam and non-steam, the Steam games I'm not to bothered about as I know I can copy and paste the steamapps folder and steam will re-install or download what ever it needs to, but the others are all disc based and will need reinstalling etc.

Once again, I have no system files on the failing hard drive, I litterally just wanna pick everything up from the old and put on the new with the same path names etc.

Any thoughts

Regards 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

That's a big maybe...

I advise you disconnect the failing drive and don't plug it in again until you want to copy the data off. Your OS will have been re-allocating data as sectors fail, but now it has reached the critical point don't push it.

There's no way to find out until you try to copy.

I suggest you do a little research also to try and discover the best recent file copying software (has been a while for me), then use that to transfer the data. It will be more stable and overcome errors in a much neater fashion than Windows copy.

#3 deanos63

deanos63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

I used a 3rd party app to confirm the disk was bad, just in case it was windows giving a false reading.

It confirmed the disk was bad, reallocation sector threshold was 36, and it had a reading of 24 dropping to 16 in a day. I'm assuming when it gets to 0 bad things will happen.

I will wait till Saturday when I have my new disk before I switch it on again.

#4 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

0 is worse and when it hits 0 your Hard Drive Is completely dead

Robert James Crawley Klopp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users