Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP Servger migration from 2003 to Server 2008

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MatrixMistro

MatrixMistro

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:18 AM

We have an FTP Server (via IIS) running Server 2003 and I need to migrate to Server 2008. DNS TTL is set to 1 hour. It's an FTP server so I'd like to have as little down time as possible. The business use AS400 systems and various systems (not just Windows) to transfer files via FTP so I need to take into account a lot of people will not reboot or flush DNS.

I have already checked with the business and the good news is no one appears to be using the IP Address for the physical FTP Server running Server 2003. All FTP jobs are using the host name only. Management wish me to use a cname (Alias) so remaming the server to match to old host name is not an option so I intend to create a CNAME to match the old server (after it is renamed) andhave the cname point to the new FTP Server IP Address. My implementation steps are below: 

Example:

Old server Name:    FTPSrv1 (running server 2003)

New Server Name:  FTPSrv2 (running server 2008 R2) - different IP address

1. Rename old sever, FTPSrv1,  to FTPSrv1_old first*

2. Delete the A record for old FTP Server (FTPSrv1) in DNS 

3. Create a new DNS CNAME in DNS. Cname will point to new FTP Server running Serve 2008, FTPSrv2

As business make reference to host name only they will use cached information to connect to old and when DNS kicks in, use the alias. I guess the only down time is the time I bring down the old server, FTPSrv1, to rename it as I do not believe I can create a Cname/ alias with the same name as the physical server with out renaming it first but please confirm.

Any flaws in this plan? Again, I can not guarantee reboot or people flushing DNS and would like to have as little down time as possible to avoid FTP transfers failing so an advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

Generally it's best practice to keep the same server names and IP's if you can. I would agree there is no guarantee there won't be a smooth transition. Your plan sounds good. However, you may want to keep the old server record & keep it online till you can migrate data. Just a thought. Also, you may want to lower the TTL for the DNS A record etc till everything checks out and is running smoothly.

#3 MatrixMistro

MatrixMistro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

Thanks

Both the old and new servers will be online at same time.

I can not create a CNAME to have the same name as the host name with out first renaming the old server name to servername_old, can I? If I can, this would be a better option otherwise if someone reboots and flushes DNS, the FTP jobs will fail if scheduled to run at that time as I will need to rename the old server 1st and then create the cname.

I wanted to rename the new server and give it the same name but Management always like to over complicate things in my company and want the alias ooption in the event we need to do the same process in the future as they think it will be easier to use an alias which I guess is true but unfortunately not an option. THis is why I need to ensure the cname/alias method is used.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

You can't create same names in there without renaming first. Just leave everything the way it is and bring in the new server named FTPsvr2 and create a A record for it with FTPsvr2 & pointing to it's new IP. Then create alias FTP CNAME FTPsvr2. That will bind it so that it is ftp.yourcompany.com However, ftp doesn't care it can be just an A record and no CNAME. It's best practice to use CNAME for www, mail, ftp, etc. As the network grows DNS records won't become such a nightmare changing things around. Once it's up check it's pingable and run a pathping or whatever to it. You also have to think about accounts/data etc on the new ftp server who has access to what. I would check the FSMO server roles as well. You may have to transfer those roles unless you are rebuilding all that from scratch. Kind of confusing why they even need a ftp on the local network to begin with lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users