Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn Off Flight Mode & Turn On Wireless Devices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RobertWfr

RobertWfr

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:14 AM

Hi All,

I am using Windows 8.1 and had to refresh my computer as I was experiencing some problems. Everything seemed to be normal so I started slowly installing the programs I had before. Now a few days after, I find that my wireless device is Off and Flight Mode is On. I have been in settings but the relevant switches are disabled.

Can anybody tell me how to fix this please ? I really don't know how it happened. Can it be that my laptop is still infected ?

Thanks,

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

Is there a physical switch on your laptop for wireless? Often on the edges of your laptop... easy to miss.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Adding to what TsVk! said, if you don't have a physical switch, do you have a F key that controls the WiFi? Usually, there should be a little light on that key that is blue when the wireless adapter is enabled and red/orange when it's disabled. You can usually use it by pressing on Fn + that F key (if you didn't disable the Fn key in the BIOS). Also for the physical switch, to check if there's one, actually check all around the laptop to see if there's one. Look for a little antenna icon. Don't just pass your hands as you'll most likely miss it, take the time to look properly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 RobertWfr

RobertWfr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that. You got it in one, a little embarrassing for me but I'm getting used to it. I should have paid more attention to the manuals that came with the computer.

There is no wirelesss switch tucked in a corner, instead it uses the FN + PrtScr combination to turn the wireless Off & On.

I am a bit surprised that the Windows troubleshooter could identify the problem but is unable to switch the WiFi back on for me.

I did not mention that I use a Dell Inspiron 15 (5,000 series) laptop. So far I am satisfied with the performance but wish that Dell had put in a better Touch-Pad.

Before this I used, and still have, a Sony Viao running Windows 7. That was not a good experience as there are too many things running for the processor to cope with. When I got this laptop I restored the Sony to factory specs using its built-in function, I had no problem losing all my applications and data but am truly disappointed that the performance has improved only marginally.

Thanks again guys for helping me out with my problem.

Cheers,

Robert

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

It's normal that the troubleshooter cannot enable back the adapter, since key combinaisons are seen as "hardware" interaction with the device, so it cannot enable/disable a component that was disabled at a "hardware" level :)

And no problem, no shame either Robert :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 RobertWfr

RobertWfr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Thanks again.

A bit of shame is in order for me, I should have paid more attention to the manual.

Cheers,

Robert

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Most of us learn that one the hard way mate :thumbup2:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

It even happened to me once on the job, and my colleague made me notice the switch, since then, I pay a special attention to that when a smiliar issue arise haha :)

Happens to the best of us!

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users