Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS public Address Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Arkion

Arkion

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:16 AM

Hello all,

I have recently upgraded my company's internet to fibre (about time) and this is causing some DNS problems..

From in house we can connect to one of our server domains completely fine but if tried externally we are receiving time outs and " web page not available"

I believe that I need to change my DNS A records  for this domain on my router to a public IP address.

How do I find out what the public IP address I need to change it to is?

Thanks, 

Alex

First time poster

Edited by Arkion, 11 February 2015 - 03:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:37 AM

DNS Benchmark will test and tell you the best DNS servers for you. Or you can use Google's DNS.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

"From in house we can connect to one of our server domains completely fine but if tried externally we are receiving time outs"

and

"I believe that I need to change my DNS A records  for this domain on my router to a public IP address."

Are you using your internal dns server when on the outside?  Nope.

What are you using?  You are using the dns public record for your domain name.

So what changed?  Apparently you public ip address changed.

How would I fix this?  You would contact whoever is hosting your domain name [most likely your ISP] and have them update the domain name to point to the wan ip of your internet facing router. This does assume you have a static wan ip and are not using something like dyndns for hosting your domain name. 

#4 Arkion

Arkion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

This problem was resolved earlier today! You are correct Wand3r3r as that is how I solved it!

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

Glad to hear you got it resolved.  Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users