Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Tune Po Vs. Hard Disk Sentinel results

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

Hello,

I picked up an HDD, and decided to run some tests before installing it. Hard Disk Sentinel came back with positive results. I read that the drive is in perfect working order, with no errors. I then decided to run HD Tune Pro, and I see that the air flow temperature faild, and there is a warning next to Reallocated Event Count. Can someone please tell me if this drive would be safe, and reliable? The HDD is connected to my desktop through a SATA/USB adapter. I have posted a screen shot of the HD Tune Pro Health results below. Thank you very much for your time, and I am looking forward to your reply.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fred_H

Fred_H

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

I've tried several and HD Tune Pro is the only one warning me of this peculiar error on a Maxtor Basics Desktop 1TB that contains a SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.11 ST31000333AS. The drive needs a Firmware update, which isn't easy to so as long as it is connected via usb.
Try Seatools to see if you've got the same problem. Good luck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

If it's a Samsung drive, the suggestion to run SeaTools should be definitive.  3d-party diagnostics may misinterpret the data reflected for a drive, while SeaTools is the product of the hard drive manufacturer.

FWIW:  I run the paid version of Hard Disk Sentinel, consider it trustworthy and accurate...have tested it against other diagnostics.  But...SeaTools is the better tool for any Samsung/Seagate/Maxtor hard drive, IMO.

Louis

#4 Fred_H

Fred_H

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

I tested the same disk that got temperature warning in HD Tune Pro with Hard Disk Sentinel 4.60 Pro, and got the result that the disk during it's TOTAL lifetime have had extreme temperature. The disk is still usable, and I'm going to try and update the Firmware and isolate the bad sectors. In other words, the info from HD Tune Pro was somewhat misleading.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users