Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint KDE-64bit Install

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

I installed KDE tonight and it went well.  I hope to get a few questions answered so that my next install will go even better.  I  would love to hear any opinions about this OS, don't like the desktop as well as Mate but will give it a whirl, trying to have an open mind here.  And as mentioned in other posts, I love the eye candy, so I hope it pays off.

After install, I used the Update Manager to get all updates as it was all lit up and waiting for the Updates to be installed.  I have been taught here to use sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade but I did not.  For those of  you who know me know I am a lite user so it probably won't matter much, but please if you will expain to me if I am missing out on anything.

I am also going to install Mate at some point, as soon as I get this all setup, and backed up using Timeshift.  That is...of course...if this one works out?

NickAu1, Yes, I ran sudo ufw enable LOL!

15qb43k.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

:thumbup2:

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:07 PM

Good job...

I find KDE more of a power user environment, highly configurable and more suited for Debian. Mate seems to go Mint best, imho.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:05 AM

I found Mint KDE (as well as Kubuntu) more of a 'power user' environment myself, and my testing lasted all of two days per distro. Tried Kubuntu first, then MInt KDE, feeling that my Mint MATE experience would help, but other than the basics, it didn't. It is a great OS for those who loves eye candy & can't run Cinnamon due to the requirement of newer graphic cards, which with today's Cinnamon, requires more than the minimum for Windows Vista or 7 for best looks/performance. 

We're all different, and while some of us prefers to run different types of Linux distros, there's others like myself whom likes to keep it simple & learn as much as possible about what I'm running. 

I  would love to hear any opinions about this OS, don't like the desktop as well as Mate but will give it a whirl, trying to have an open mind here.  And as mentioned in other posts, I love the eye candy, so I hope it pays off.

While I believe my opinion was provided above, like you stated, it's important to go into a new project with an open mind. Without that, you'll find it difficult to learn. Nick is one of the KDE users here, am not sure about whom else is, maybe Al1000, so there's assistance for when you need it. 

Yes, I've known since you began with Linux Mint that you love the eye candy, well you have it now! :thumbup2:

With KDE, the possibilities are endless, many wallpapers to choose from, as well as other KDE goodies. MATE is a simple, yet powerful desktop, but eye candy is one of the few things it's not known for. It's simple enough for a newbie, yet flexible enough for the demanding professional. KDE seems to be more of an enthusiast desktop, look at the countless desktop screenshots that Nick has posted for the last several months, close to a year. 

Hope that you enjoy MInt KDE, as many does.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

I did make one mistake when installing, perhaps you can tell me what you think.  When the Install was done - I chose "Restart" rather than "Shutdown" this made the program lock up, and I had to Ctrl-alt-delete to get out.

The second issue I am having is, when I took some screenshots - I could not Save them to the desktop, they would only save to home, can someone tell me if this is normal?  No matter what I did when saving it would save to Home.  So I just right clicked it in home and selected "Move to"> Browse > Desktop.

I hope I did not damage the OS doing something so stupid, oh well...live and learn.  Other than that I am enjoying the crisp graphics and the way in which things move around quickly, Dolphin is pretty cool also.  I tried the Wavy Windows while in LiveDVD and really liked it, but it jammed up, hope this is not an issue on HDD, but I  will wait until I get Timeshift and a backup before I try this stuff out.

Where's Nick! LOL  pcpunk out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

Are you using KSnapshot? If so, take the screenshot then click on "save as" and browse to your desktop directory in the window that opens, then save.

To display an icon (shortcut) for the screenshot (or for any other file) on the desktop, all you have to do is drag the file from dolphin onto your desktop.

I noticed this the other day in the cheesemaker's thread. :)

KDE is the most popular Linux desktop

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

Thanks again big guy lol, I was doing it right before but it was not working, now it is?  What did you think of my improper shutdown after install?

Also, here is the info. from the other thread about wifi connection stuff.  The one on the left is, as you can see the "Details" and the one on the right is the "Speed" button but the screenshot is just under it.  Are you going to try MintKDE?

fu1ee1.png6p5h1d.png

Edited by pcpunk, 11 February 2015 - 08:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the link Al000, I breezed over it and will look at it again later.  I am not surprised that it is popular, especially Dolphin, I'll keep using it and see what I can learn/break, same thing right.  I love it, it is just as I said before, very crisp graphics and fast, I like it.  I'm a simple guy, and it makes me laugh every time I use Wavy Windows, and in KDE windows become transparent when they are waved around, lol, I love it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:09 AM

When the Install was done - I chose "Restart" rather than "Shutdown" this made the program lock up, and I had to Ctrl-alt-delete to get out.

That's odd.....most all Linux distros requires a reboot after install. Too, I always reboot after the 1st update, because usually it's a long list. and it only takes a minute or so at the most. 

I'd love to have those Internet speeds you've posted above, 48MBit/sec is 3x my speed, you're rocking! :guitar:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:14 AM

When the Install was done - I chose "Restart" rather than "Shutdown" this made the program lock up, and I had to Ctrl-alt-delete to get out.

You chose the correct option, After the install you need to restart the PC,   The first restart can take time depending on PC, I once waited 3 minutes for the PC to eject the CD and restart.

The second issue I am having is, when I took some screenshots - I could not Save them to the desktop,

save them to home/desktop folder and it should appear on your desktop
pc.png

For those of  you who know me know I am a lite user so it probably won't matter much

What you planing to break the install already?

Run it anyway

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Edited by NickAu, 12 February 2015 - 04:19 AM.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

Thanks again big guy lol, I was doing it right before but it was not working, now it is? What did you think of my improper shutdown after install?

If everything seems to be working, I wouldn't be concerned with it. I don't recall even the slightest thing going wrong with KDE on Kubuntu 14.04 in all the time I've had it installed. It's been 100% reliable, and the same was true with KDE on Kubuntu 12.04 when I had it installed on my laptop for several months.

Also, here is the info. from the other thread about wifi connection stuff. The one on the left is, as you can see the "Details" and the one on the right is the "Speed" button but the screenshot is just under it.

Cool. I've never used wifi with KDE, so haven't seen that before.

Are you going to try MintKDE?

That's the plan. I had already gone to download it twice over the past few days but got distracted each time, but you've reminded me about it again so I'm downloading it just now. Will probably install it later today.

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

I'd love to have those Internet speeds you've posted above, 48MBit/sec is 3x my speed, you're rocking!

I think it's showing the speed that the wifi card on the computer is capable of transferring data at, rather than the actual download speed which would be determined by the ISP. If you type
iwconfig
into a terminal on a computer that you use wifi on, you will probably see a similar or the same speed cited. It says 54Mb/s on my laptop, although the fastest actual download speed I've seen is around 17Mb/s.

Edited by Al1000, 12 February 2015 - 06:34 AM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

That's odd.....most all Linux distros requires a reboot after install. Too, I always reboot after the 1st update, because usually it's a long list. and it only takes a minute or so at the most. 

I'd love to have those Internet speeds you've posted above, 48MBit/sec is 3x my speed, you're rocking! :guitar:

Cat

I had to reboot, but should have chose shutdown, not restart, imo.

Yes I got some really fast internet, and, I believe this to be true, one can tell when speeds are fast ya know.  Plus this KDE is showing exactly what is coming in available if I'm understanding right.  I can't wait to research what is   going on here with KDE, it is quite full of options.

@Al000  I do believe that this is the actual speed, it says the same in the terminal as you showed me, it's always the same in terminal as what is shown on the KDE wifi dialogue! awesome.  Comcast is really  good here, service not so much, but they always make up for it with the actual product.  When I am connected with Ethernet it's 100Mbps.

I converted MiB to Mbps at the moment and it is 69.63 Mbps.  This is line that says Received and was much higher when screenshot was taken, so I believe this is what is actually available.

6p5h1d.png

@NickAu1 The screenshots are going to Desktop now as I stated somewhere, maybe the other post.  It would not do so at first and I was doing it right.

O-boy, I think the DVD ejected but it would not re-boot on it's own, and I waited way more than three minutes.  Now I don't know what to think, are you sure one is not supposed to choose Shutdown and not Restart?  All is good so I won't worry bout it for now.  I will have to go to LM.com and look over all that install stuff. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:40 AM

@Al000 I do believe that this is the actual speed, it says the same in the terminal as you showed me, it's always the same in terminal as what is shown on the KDE wifi dialogue! awesome. Comcast is really good here, service not so much, but they always make up for it with the actual product. When I am connected with Ethernet it's 100Mbps

The easiest way to check what speed you're getting is on speedtest.net

Now I don't know what to think, are you sure one is not supposed to choose Shutdown and not Restart?

You can choose either. I usually choose restart after installing a new operating system.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:00 AM

I think it's showing the speed that the wifi card on the computer is capable of transferring data at, rather than the actual download speed which would be determined by the ISP. If you type

You're right, mine shows as 144MB/sec. 

48MBit/sec is 3x my speed, you're rocking!  :guitar:

Sorry, it's the other way around, I'm rocking! :bananas:

My 'old ones' that were removed & stored somewhere are rated for 72MB/sec, and one of those are dual band with BT4.0. As soon as I seen the word 'Atheros' on an Intel based PC, knew it had to go. Wouldn't have mattered if it was rated at 144MB/sec, still would have went. If I wanted Atheros branded products, would have bought (or built) an AMD based PC. Dell had it masked well under the name 'Dell 1703', dual band wireless card with BT4.0. It was only when I seen Windows Update offered a Qualcomm update for the card that I caught on, and a replacement was ordered that very same day. The XPS 8700 'SE' models has the Intel 6235 cards, which I found brand new for $16, twice the speed & still have BT4.0 for when needed. Browser loads faster & less ping during speed tests. 

Like Al1000 pointed out above, those speeds are only those attainable by the card, speaking of which, I may need another upgrade, a dual band Linksys router is supposed to be here in the morning. Need network cards for my main & 2nd best computers to match speeds as close as possible, both are dual band already, but only a fraction of what the router can deliver, though will have to wait until next month for any more upgrading, the router was needed because I'm having to reboot mine a lot as of late. Have never been able to take advantage of dual band speeds on my desktop PC, but have on my notebook in a relative's home, properly configured, two bands are better than one & makes for blazing fast wireless speeds. Plus, the router can download files w/out having an impact on PC performance, can attach a drive through the USB port & be notified when completed (part of the router's software). Actually, am going to use that port to share my non-wireless printer across my network & hopefully, it'll improve Linux printing, there is software for network printing which gets regular updates. 

Really though, these wireless cards are inexpensive, brand new ones can be had for $32 or so, if the consumer is willing to accept the last-gen ones, which still is faster than I'll ever go. 

I may give Mint KDE one last shot on my Optiplex 740, have been running MATE on it, but it's not used much. Would allow me to learn KDE at my pace and it take up no room on my main PC. Should run OK on an Athlon X2 4850e & 8GB DDR2 (PC2-6400) RAM, though I have to admit, that Core2Duo you have is a superior CPU over mine, and can more than make up for less RAM, provided you don't perform a lot of RAM intensive tasks. The Core2Duo is still a sought after CPU for enthusiasts who are running computers from that era, only the Core2Quad can outperform it on those platforms. 

Will likely shop for a DDR2 motherboard that will accommodate one of these CPU's, surely there was a similar Optiplex desktop version that the MB can be swapped for, these MB's & CPU's can be found at great prices on eBay. The Core2Duo of that era will outperform any of the P4's, dual core Pentiums, and any other Intel CPU that will run on the platform, even if the GHz level of the Core2Duo is lower. This is further proof that raw GHz levels alone (e.g. P4 3.8GHz) doesn't make one CPU better than another, it's the bigger picture that counts. Though if I can find a MB, will be looking for a Core2Quad instead. These are now also very affordable & may be an upgrade path for you also. 

At any rate, I believe this Optiplex 740 would make a good Mint KDE PC, and it has good enough of a GPU for the eye candy (1GB GDDR5 Dell OEM AMD Radeon 7570). I tried Cinnamon on it, and though it would run it fine due to the newer GPU, it's just not for me. Some weird desktop effects that makes me uneasy, I don't like this 'desktop behind a desktop' setup, which can be seen during certain times, such as when opening a browser & some full screen software. Didn't run KDE long enough to see if it's the same. but if it is, won't be holding onto it long either. I'm not into 'cube or 3-D desktops', preferring all to be in front of me, on one desktop. 

One thing that I would like more control over in a KDE desktop is the bouncing effect that has to do with opening of apps. Maybe it can be fixed or eliminated with a Leafpad edit. 

I will have to go to LM.com and look over all that install stuff. 

Yes, there's a wealth of information on the site, including release notes, and it's where the OS is distributed from. Clem & the Mint crew are a very talented developmental team, surely any questions has been asked and has been answered on the site. I'm not speaking of the forum, that's in addition to the site information. 

As to the 'over three minute' wait time, there's been times when that's happened to me on a MATE install, as well as Ubuntu 12.04 recently. Sometimes the reboot will hang for any number of reasons, members has reported this, however the computer usually will boot normally afterwards. There's a lot going on during the time of install. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users