Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSoD after BSoD after BSod

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Madcapmagician

Madcapmagician

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

I'm getting multiple BSoDs with alarming frequency now. Occasionally firefox would crash, then progressively the whole computer would freeze then restart and now it does it every few minutes.

Doesn't appear to be heat-related, I'm not overclocking that I'm aware of.

The system is an Intel i5, 16GB Ram running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

I have a new HDD and new RAM ordered as I think my main HDD is part of the problem. I can't complete a chkdsk. I can't complete FSC either. I'll be amazed if I can finish this post before it dies. Again.

Here are the dump files and minitoolbox results

Attached File  dumps.zip   333.12KB   5 downloads

Attached File  Result.txt   28.34KB   5 downloads

Are there any other logs I need to upload or things I should try?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Peter

Edited by Madcapmagician, 10 February 2015 - 10:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

Hi Madcapmagician :)

It looks like your new HDD is indeed the problem. There's alot of bad sectors, unstable sectors that needs to be reallocated, disk health warnings, etc. You most likely got a bad HDD that was damaged before arrival. I suggest you to return it on the warranty and ask for another one. That's the only thing you can do for now.

Error: (02/11/2015 00:59:29 PM) (Source: TarynHss) (User: )
Description: A Warning disk event (Uncorrectable Sectors Detected) was detected: The disk detected 45 bad sectors during its offline scan.

Disk: WDC WD2500AAKS-00B3A0 , Path: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0, Attribute ID: 198, Attribute: Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count, Correlation ID: ec68e7d2-0ca4-4cce-8b25-4b1db77418d8

Description: A Critical disk event (High Pending Sector Count) was detected: There are 48 unstable sectors that may be reallocated.

Disk: WDC WD2500AAKS-00B3A0 , Path: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0, Attribute ID: 197, Attribute: Current Pending Sector Count, Correlation ID: 807186b5-0cd0-41de-9724-44b08340b839

Description: A Critical disk event (Disk Health Critical) was detected: The health of this disk is Critical. It is recommended that you replace it as soon as possible, or if the problem(s) are correctable (such as temperature), correct the problems immediately.

Disk: WDC WD2500AAKS-00B3A0 , Path: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0, Attribute ID: 0, Attribute: Critical Disk, Correlation ID: abbb2844-fae7-4b49-99c6-4d2ca35d81df

Just to be sure, how many HDDs do you have?

Edited by Aura., 11 February 2015 - 06:38 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Madcapmagician

Madcapmagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Aura. It's actually my existing hdd. I haven't received the new drive yet. I'm expecting it to arrive in the next 12 hours. Then I need to figure out how to clone or transfer Windows to the new drive. Any suggestions? My Windows is an oem Windows 8 pro 64 upgraded to 8.1. I still have the oem DVD.

#4 Madcapmagician

Madcapmagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

Oh and I have two hdds. The primary is a 250 gig western digital and the other is a 2 tb western digital.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

You could do a clean reinstallation on the new hard drive if you wish or use Acronis True Image to clean your existing drive (OS, programs, files, etc.) and restore it on the new hard drive.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup/

Personally, I would go with a clean reinstallation, because I don't always trust cloning but True Image is a good piece of software so it's a good solution as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Madcapmagician

Madcapmagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

Ok, so new hdd (WD Caviar Black 1TB) and RAM (GSkill RipJaws 16GB) arrived, installed it and fresh installed windows 8.1. Worked fine for most of the day, reloading all my stuff and in the middle of restoring my backup of the documents folder, Boom, another BSoD!!!! this time its a clock watchdog timeout. What next? CPU? and to make matters worse, my documents have vanished both the backup and the target folders are empty. Going to have to reconnect the old hdd to do another backup now.

Here is the minidump.Attached File  021215-21921-01.zip   31.63KB   2 downloads

Edited by Madcapmagician, 13 February 2015 - 02:48 AM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:25 AM

The BSOD you received is "Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP", often caused by new hardware installed that failed. Is it possible for you to run a Memtest86+ on both of your RAM sticks, just to make sure that they are working good without any errors? I know they are brand new, but it happens that you can receive faulty hardware.

unite_blue.png

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

Clock watchdog means that the memory you installed has change or altered the clock speed of cpu and the system isn't stable because of it.

#9 Madcapmagician

Madcapmagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

Ok, have done extensive memtest runs and all 16 gigs passes with flying colors. I'm beginning to wonder if my motherboard bios could be part of the problem. It has automatic overclocking features which I thought I had disabled but it turns out they can't be completely disabled. Is it a possibility that could be a factor?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

I'm not specialized in overclocking, I don't know anything about it, but it would be good if we could find a way to see if your CPU is overclocked right now or not.

unite_blue.png

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

You should download speccy and publish a snapshot and post that link here so we can see what hardware you got.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

Here's how to publish a snapshot using Speccy if you don't know how:

https://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web

unite_blue.png

#13 Madcapmagician

Madcapmagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll do the speccy thing tomorrow as it's getting late here and I need my beauty sleep. I'm also not a guru on overclocking and have never been in favour of the idea. I prefer to just run things standard.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

That's good :) In the meanwhile, I'll try to ask a few hardware people if they know a program that can easily tell us if your CPU, RAM, GPU, etc. are overclocked or not.

unite_blue.png

#15 Madcapmagician

Madcapmagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

Ok, I've downloaded speccy and run it. I just exported a text file. Hope that's ok..

Attached File  DADSPC.txt   100.14KB   11 downloads

I ran memtest86 for 12 hours straight and not a single error. which is nice :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users