Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing happens when I turn on computer and pc analyzer shows no codes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bikefixer

bikefixer

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

I have a custom built computer. I bought it from a Flea Market. I think the computer came from a storage auction, so it may have been sitting in a storage unit for a while. When I go to turn computer on it powers on but nothing is displayed on monitor. Computer powers on but does not sound like it is booting. I tried using a PC analyzer card to see if I would get any errors but does not show any. 

Does it sound like the motherboard could be bad? Could my PC analyzer be outdated since computer is newer?? 

Not sure of computer specs but this is the mother board-fm2-a55m-e33

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

Too many unknowns to really give you a good idea of what is wrong with it.  Basically you don't know if it ever worked.

#3 bikefixer

bikefixer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

No

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

I am not sure about a desktop but I have seen laptops not boot if the CMOS battery was bad. Have you tried a new battery? If you have a multimeter you can check the PSU to see if the voltages are in range.

Here is the support page for the MB.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

I know that if you don't have any bootable media on your machine, you will see an error message telling you that. If you are seeing nothing at all on the display, then I think your computer either is not even reaching the stage where it looks for boot media or you have a video issue.

This may sound a little crazy, but I would literally unplug every drive (remove the power connectors from the back of the drives), and remove any cards from the PCI slots. Then make sure the video cord from the monitor is connected directly to the motherboard video output, power up and see if you can see an error message ("Boot sector not found" or something).

If you do not see such a message, either your motherboard is bad or you have a video issue (bad monitor, bad video cord, or bad jack where monitor plugs in).

You won't learn much, but at least it's a starting point.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

There way a reason it was tossed.  A complete dis-assembly may reveal some clues and a good cleaning won't hurt.  A close inspection might show more if you've the skills.  The CMOS battery is always a first for any machine idled(unplugged) longer than a month.  But that shouldn't stop a the BIOS from coming up if the power supply is good.

#7 bikefixer

bikefixer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

There way a reason it was tossed.  A complete dis-assembly may reveal some clues and a good cleaning won't hurt.  A close inspection might show more if you've the skills.  The CMOS battery is always a first for any machine idled(unplugged) longer than a month.  But that shouldn't stop a the BIOS from coming up if the power supply is good.

changed battery and plugged monitor into mother board still nothing. I paid $10 for it, so even if I have to replace mother board, it would'nt be so bad. 600 watt power supply and gaming case.

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

If you have another monitor, try plugging that one in. It could be either the monitor is bad, or the video cable is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users