Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Commport

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 justdon2014

justdon2014

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

I have tried everything I can't get the comport to open to use programing software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Some more information would be helpful :  computer make and model or main specs if it is a self-built; what programming software are you trying to run; what are you trying to get the software to do ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 justdon2014

justdon2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

For starters this is a hp laptop and iam trying to program a ham radio.Its a hp 2000 notebook pc.With windows 8.1.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Is the setup known to work with Windows 8.1 and a laptop of that generation?

At work we maintained an old 486 with Windows 95 because that's the last generation of hardware/Windows that certain radio programming software would work with.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 justdon2014

justdon2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

As for as I know yes.Iam not anything close to a computer geek.And I thank you for your help.It just looks like whenever I have a question there is no easy solution.I guess it looks like iam going to have to do it the hard way and program the radio by hand.Thats going to be fun but thank you so very much.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

Give me a day or two. I have an acquaintance who is a radio ham and uses a laptop for at least some aspects of it. I'll shunt this along to him. All I personally know about radio is what I got taught as an occasional user in the Army and we were still training for the Cold War then !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 justdon2014

justdon2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

Thank you so very much.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:00 AM

It can be that only someone who has used the particular programming software before, successfully or not, is in a position to answer definitely. Hopefully the operator Chris knows will have some idea.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Right, I spoke to the wife of my acquaintance - I know her better because I teach beside her - and she said send the query to my husband and this is what he said -

Hi Chris

If you could find out what radio he is trying to programme, (i.e. expanding a 10/11 meter set for wideband RX & TX) and is he using a USB interface and dedicated software?

Any information of this kind will help me to point him in the right direction.

Kind regards

Iain

So - the ball is in your court !  As far as I am concerned the bit from 'If' to 'Any' is gobbledegook so it is down to you to answer the questions. As I more or less said right in my first post, the more information you supply on a problem the easier it is to reach a solution.

Post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 justdon2014

justdon2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

To you chris I supplied as much info as I knew the last I can say is its a jet stream jt270m radio that had the cd and cable with it for programing.Iam sure iam not as well versed in the tech world as you.When I ask a question I donot consider it gobbledegook it was a question.My only intention was to find out if anyone might have an answer. but my apologies if I could not convey my answers for you the way you wanted them.I thank everyone in putting forth the effort to assist me.I will not annoy you anymore.And you have a good day.I will move on to elsewhere.Thank you.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

I fear you misread my post ! 

There was no suggestion that anything you had said was 'gobbledegook' merely that to me Iain's reply meant virtually nothing, although I presume it would to another radio user. I am not a radio user - as I have already cheerfully admitted !

I will pass your reply on and see what he has to say.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 justdon2014

justdon2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

Please for give me chris.I think iam just to worked up over this.There is a hamfest near me going on and iam supposed to meet a person from one of the local ham clubs that says he will help me.He feels like it could be the cd or the cable that came with the radio.Again forgive me.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

Is the cable you have a USB to Com adapter cable? These can be difficult to get to work satisfactorily - the translation from USB just seems to be difficult. Our experience at work has been much better using a computer that has an actual hardware COM port.

#14 justdon2014

justdon2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

I realy don't know.But the genteleman I talk to said it could be that the chip in the cable is bad.Which he said happens a lot with the Chinese cables they give you with their radios.I thank god the radio is working ok.This just a matter of trusting their software hoping that I could program the radio faster and easier.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

it could be that the chip in the cable is bad.Which he said happens a lot with the Chinese cables they give you with their radios.

Yes, very possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users