Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 780 computer won't boot with 2nd monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SeregDuin

SeregDuin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

Asus 787-C (Bios Ver 2004)

I7 4790

32 GB 2133 DDR3 (4x8GB)

Pioneer BDXL Blueray burner

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB

MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr OC

Windows 7 Ult 64bit

Samsung S24C650 24" Monitor connected via DVI

Samsung SyncMaster  19" Monitor connected via DVI

The computer has worked fine for a few months.

Now for some reason, the computer will not boot with both monitors plugged in.

When I start the computer with both monitors plugged in: Both monitors screen flash up "Digital" then go black. Blue light on 24" turns on continuously as if connected normally. Blue light on 19" monitor flashes with black screen (I think small monitor behaved this way previously until windows started). 

There is a single beep as if post has been successful and then nothing. No change in the monitors from that point and no hard disk light.  

I am not able to enter bios and if I hit the off switch the computer turns off instantly.

If I boot with only one monitor (have tried with both monitors plugged in to both DVI plugs on the GTX and in the DVI plug on the motherboard) the machine boots normally.

If I boot with the small monitor disconnected and then plug it once windows starts it is detected straight away and reverts to my normal setup.

Things I have tried.

Have stripped it down and reseated video card and ram.

Booted with no drives plugged in.

Booted with a single stick of RAM

Cleared cmos and rebooted.

In all cases boots normally with 1 monitor (either monitor plugged in anywhere) and won't boot with 2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SeregDuin

SeregDuin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:46 AM

Problem was faulty motherboard. Replaced under warranty.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the update; I was wondering if it could be the BIOS battery going bad or the motherboard but I wasn't sure about either. You did a great job of analyzing.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users